2 hours ago, vivienz said:

I've just come across this article in the local rag.  Only two of these houses currently, but it's a good start.  Turn on your adblockers, by the way, as the local news will take a long time to load up by the time it's done all adverts.

Bournemouth Echo council passivhaus article

Then the bottom quarter of your screen is covered in a pop up telling you to turn off your ad blocker.

East Lothian council has started to retrofit ASHPs into some of their council houses in areas where mains gas is not available. They are installed and maintained at no cost to the tenant, and should significantly cut heating bills so what’s not to like? However according to some residents one of whom said that the noise was making him suicidal they are not liked. You can please some of the people some of the time ... 

The noise thing is odd, as our heat pump is extremely quiet.  The only ways I can tell whether it's running or not is to look at the display, or go outside and see if I can feel air coming out the front.  The slight noise of air going in the MVHR intake, high on the wall above the ASHP, is noisier than the ASHP.

The plasterer was here today.  He is just buying a plot to build himself a new house.  He was asking about the heat pump as he said he has heard a lot of bad things about them and how noisy they are.

I asked him "what can you hear just now"

"nothing"

""So you can't hear the heat pump just ticking over slowly to keep the UFH running then can you?

He still has some educating to do. He is talking about building a very well insulated house but still wants to heat it with an oil boiler and he does not want mvhr.  I will keeep working on him.......

The most noisy thing about my heating system is the circulating pumps on the 2 UFH manifolds. They would be just as noisy whatever provided the warm water for them.

3 hours ago, Ed Davies said:

Heat pumps have a long history of problems/failure in social housing. Don't know what the real problems are but it seems like a mixture of poor and inappropriate installations and lack of user understanding.

I suspect that is a case of rip out a boiler and fit a heat pump in an old house.

Do they add extra insulation and make it more air tight to reduce heating load?

Do they fit UFH so it can run at a low temperature quietly and efficiently?

Or do they run it at high temperature into the same old radiators in the same old leaky house?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I suspect that is a case of rip out a boiler and fit a heat pump in an old house.

Do they add extra insulation and make it more air tight to reduce heating load?

Do they fit UFH so it can run at a low temperature quietly and efficiently?

Or do they run it at high temperature into the same old radiators in the same old leaky house?

No UFH but they did resize the rads. They installed cavity wall and loft insulation but I doubt they looked at air tightness. 

http://greennetworkforsocialhousing.energysavingtrust.org.uk/CaseStudy.aspx?cid=1149

4 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

and probably even worse implementation.

The installations were by British Gas. I find that pretty ironic TBH. The guy who you called to service my ST (who actually never got back to me with a quote but that's another story) was telling me when he came that the properties they chose to put them in were pretty inappropriate in his view. Small, poorly insulated old cottages mostly and tenants who weren't onboard with the changes. 

https://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/13560306.noise-of-heating-like-torture/

And the local housing association's 'flagship' development with GSHPs wasn't a roaring success either. Seems like some councils / housing associations want to get onboard with renewables but they lack the knowledge to implement it properly. I bet it cost a bomb too! 

https://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/13553226.Heat_is_on_ELHA/