Hello from east london

Tony C

I had recently obtained the Planning permission building house (well not just one, for two!) on the backland site in east london.

One house will be of course for ourselves and is going to be timber frame build.

Despite the warning against our RIBA architect, I am planning to get a groundwork contractor, then I will be project managing the rest of the build by myself.

Its going to be interesting design all the timber frame is exposed inside, (yes I will be needing excellent joiner) then covered with insulation and metal cladding sheet externally.

I am sure I will have plenty questions soon, thank you in advance for experience people!

20 minutes ago, Tony C said:

[...]

Despite the warning against our RIBA architect, I am planning to get a groundwork contractor, then I will be project managing the rest of the build by myself.

[...]

Welcome.

You've got me interested. What was the warning? You might like to keep the response appropriately annonymised. ?

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

How about building it in sips, and then adding all that detail as fake dress up on the inside, non structural just for show. 

+1 to that ..!!! 

I would use something quick and cheap to build the shell, insulate it and clad it then hit it with internal detail. Could even get away with using something like a 140mm single skin block with lots of EWI and then parge coat the lot inside as your airtightness layer. 

13 minutes ago, Tony C said:

CLT(cross laminated timber )was no no due to the restricted access being on the backland.

As the house is single story (+ one room basement), the building control is happy without any fire instrument paint.

That doesn’t make sense to me ..??? CLT, Steel and posi joists are all going to be the same length no matter what you do - it’s only the depth and weight that will differ. 

What access do you have to the site as muck out and concrete in are your two biggest issues and if you can get a wagon in for muckaway, you can get some big bits of timber in ..!

11 hours ago, Tony C said:

Thank you for the comment!

This is not my house plan, but it is good reference, I think.

17898eaf9ddb004dec4b0d22624e0046.jpg

That is going to be a "marmite house" and personally I would be on the "I hate it" side. It just looks un finished.  I wired a house a while back where the owner wanted OSB sheeting as the finished wall. The joiners did a very good job of making the OSB very neat, but again it just screamed not finished.