Why timber frame?

Ben100

14 minutes ago, PeterW said:

It will be as it will move and cause problems. 

The main concern would be the roof join as any roof movement downward will show. Can you isolate the new part from the old or is it a composite roof extension...?

Ah yes, that could be an issue. The roof will span the existing brick wall and the new timber wall.

I think you may do better to build in blockwork, then fix vertical battens for your timber cladding.  You should use facing or engineering brick for the lowest 150mm-225mm as this tends to get splashed.  Get someone in to build this, it will not be that expensive and you will still have loads to do.

2 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I think you may do better to build in blockwork, then fix vertical battens for your timber cladding.  You should use facing or engineering brick for the lowest 150mm-225mm as this tends to get splashed.  Get someone in to build this, it will not be that expensive and you will still have loads to do.

If I was to build in blockwork, would I still need two blockwork skins with a cavity and then cladding? Or could I go for an inner single skin blockwork with external cladding with a cavity between them?

1 hour ago, Ben100 said:

If I was to build in blockwork, would I still need two blockwork skins with a cavity and then cladding? Or could I go for an inner single skin blockwork with external cladding with a cavity between them?

You could do either but I think 2 skins with 100mm cavity would be simplest. With single skin you will probably need 140mm blocks and you would need to insulate internally or externally.

• Thanks 1