Sunamp prices

Cambs

10 hours ago, Cambs said:

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but i had a search on here but couldn’t seem to find any guide prices for the latest Sunamp models.  A quick google turned this up....

http://www.bublshop.co.uk/sunamp-heat-batteries-series-3/c326

Starting at about £1350+VAT.

Can anyone give a comparison like for like over the last 12 months?

20 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Starting at about £1350+VAT.

Can anyone give a comparison like for like over the last 12 months?

The current list price for the UniQ eHW 9 kWh model is £1,963 + VAT I believe.  There may be discounts available on that price, though. 

A 9 kWh Uniq is pretty much the same heat capacity as a 210 litre unvented hot water cylinder, heated by an immersion heater.  A quick look around seems to indicate that a decent 210 litre DHW cylinder with fitting kit is around £500.  The Sunamp is around 1/4 of the size, though, and around 1/3 to 1/4 of the heat loss, so at off-peak electricity rates would probably save around £90 a year in reduced heat losses.

I'm afraid I don't have the list prices for any of the other models, but would assume that the saving from not having the heating element might be quite small, as the heat cell inside the eHW looks to be near-identical to that inside the water heated models, with the same pair of heat exchangers.  My guess is that the parts will be common, with just a blanking plate where the heating element fits at the base.

I'd also hazard a guess that they would be reluctant to sell a heat battery without the control box, because the control box provides some protection against the heat battery being over-heated.  Might be worth asking if they have any surplus Sunamp PV heat cells available though, as they've now stopped making these I believe and each Sunamp PV had two small, ~2.2 kWh cells with just a heat exchanger inside each.  The Sunamp PV cells are a more manageable size and weight when out of the case, and it wouldn't be hard to stack a lot of these together in a well-insulated box and a bit of plumbing to connect all the heat exchangers together in the configuration you want.

31 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I'd also hazard a guess that they would be reluctant to sell a heat battery without the control box, because the control box provides some protection against the heat battery being over-heated. 

Indeed, some protection. AIUI, it just stops calling for heat if the temperature reaches a certain point. Assuming that's wired to a zone valve which in turn controls the pump (as an S-plan system) that won't help if the problem in the first place is the zone valve sticking in the open position. Something more multi-level is needed to tolerate plausible single-point failures.

My guess is that it's probably a warranty and liability concern, though.  If the unit doesn't have a fault and signals to an external component to do something, which the external component then doesn't do, the responsibility for whatever ensues isn't down to the Sunamp.

If heated by the immersion, the thermistors look for the heating sequence to be 'bottom > top', but if heated by an external wet heat source via the Hex then the thermistors needs to be told to expect heat to arrive from the top > down. Therefore this is critical to ensure the correct thermistor is selected for fully charged 'status recognition'. 

This is the difference between each model sent out, as in the universal PCB is program 'pre-selelcted' to suit the application, given Joe Bloggs may be fitting it so it would need to be 'plug and play'. The boxes are essentially all the same, with the same Hex and same porting, just the electronics ( software ) differ. Quite handy to be able to reconfigure these to run in different applications later down the line without having to change the original unit tbh.

NOTE : Once primary ( heating ) water has run through a Hex for any device or equipment it CANNOT be later utilised to convey potable ( drinking quality water ).

On 04/11/2018 at 11:42, Ed Davies said:

Any ideas how much less (if anything) the ones without the electric element are?

Ideally I'd prefer to know what the temperature sensors are and not bother with the controller, too.

eHw PCM58 / 9 = £1963

HW PCM58 / 9 = £1821

both +vat +del.

For 12's its £142 less

For 6's its....guess what :) 

So additional immersion costs are £142 across the range by the look of it. One consideration is the units aren't as tall with the immersion removed so are physically different eg more compact ( 45mm of less tallness-ness ) ;) 

• Thanks 2