Water efficiency regs

When you submit the rest of the stuff for the final inspection (air tests, elec and gas certs etc) you also submit a statement confirming that "Water consumption is less than 125 litres/person/day using fittings approach".  You no longer need to do the calculator.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

When you submit the rest of the stuff for the final inspection (air tests, elec and gas certs etc) you also submit a statement confirming that "Water consumption is less than 125 litres/person/day using fittings approach".  You no longer need to do the calculator.

Wish the old school inspector I had for part of my build was that flexible.  He refused to accept the calculator printout, on the basis that I wasn't qualified to use it (despite there being no qualification required in the regs).  I then agreed to fit restrictors to positively limit the flow rates to all outlets except the cisterns and he refused to accept me doing this at first, again on the grounds that I wasn't competent (despite the fact that I'd plumbed the whole house).  In the end he compromised and agreed to me fitting the restrictors as long as I provided him with photographic evidence of the fitting of each one, believe it or not.  All told I had three inspection visits over the space of a month just getting the water installation signed off.

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

Wish the old school inspector I had for part of my build was that flexible.  He refused to accept the calculator printout, on the basis that I wasn't qualified to use it (despite there being no qualification required in the regs).  I then agreed to fit restrictors to positively limit the flow rates to all outlets except the cisterns and he refused to accept me doing this at first, again on the grounds that I wasn't competent (despite the fact that I'd plumbed the whole house).  In the end he compromised and agreed to me fitting the restrictors as long as I provided him with photographic evidence of the fitting of each one, believe it or not.  All told I had three inspection visits over the space of a month just getting the water installation signed off.

He was an idiot in that regard.  The new regs just require self-certification using the wording "Water consumption is less than 125 litres/person/day using fittings approach".  Stupid reg anyway, with things like bath capacities measured to the overflow.

Really the regs should mainly focus on health and safety for occupants, not what shower head they choose.

He was much more than an idiot, he was a complete and utter PITA.  His opening remark on his first visit (which was when the house was ready for the completion inspection) was that he'd never have passed the foundations, as it was "inherently unsafe" for a house to sit on a block of polystyrene foam.  Things went downhill from there...

He'd been brought back in part time, due to staff shortages, and if I had to hazard a guess I'd say he was in his early 70's.  Thankfully, building control sensed there was a problem after his third visit and so sent out the head of building control to do the completion inspection.  By that time I'd printed off every bit of evidence I thought might be needed and lined all the printouts up on the kitchen work surface, ready to be checked.  The inspector didn't look at any of them, just walked around the house being generally complimentary, and only really checked the disabled access from the back door to the WC.  He was there for less than an hour and we got the completion certificate by email around 4pm the same day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

he'd never have passed the foundations, as it was "inherently unsafe" for a house to sit on a block of polystyrene foam

So, he’s a structural engineer as well as a PITA.? I once ordered an inspector to leave my site at once for trying to change lots of things that had already been approved, them went to see his boss, he did agree with me that he was a bit over zealous and assigned a different inspector to me ?.

• 5 years later...

I guess you need to find the spec from the supplier! I was lucky and installed a big slipper bath, the BCO spotted it and said “if I make you change that you will put this one back in after I have gone “.  So true and he signed it off 👍

• Haha 1