Pop up tower socket

nod

Pop up worktop socket

We have the granite templater down today

He asked what diameter hole we wanted 

I thought they may be pretty standard 

Wrong

He also said that the type that plug in upside down are better ?

Anyone have one 

Sensio ones are ok. Just be sure that drilling a big hole in your stone slab is the solution you want before you do it. 

I know a kitchen manufacturer who grimaces when he sees ours. He puts the sockets in his kitchen on the units under the worktop. 

• Thanks 1

I had a look at these for our worktop but decided on a bank of sockets on the short end of the island facing the appliances, where it's less public.  I'm not splashing out on granite but even so, didn't want to cut a hole for sockets - I don't need any encouragement to cover a worksurface with bits and pieces!

We're still happy with our arrangement, discrete sockets have trailing lead issues and our island is big enough not to be ruined by using a pop-up plus we don't need to have things permanently plugged in so the island is usually clear.

Keep meaning to buy a couple of these but never got round to it. 

25 minutes ago, vivienz said:

but decided on a bank of sockets on the end of the island

+1. Works well for me and without a big hole in the granite that I might have regretted forever. 

A thread a little while back veered into pop up socket territory:

CPC were cheapest and slimmest but that was for a particularly slim gap and had 230V sockets only not USB. Some links above in there also to very low profile, USB only worktop sockets, barely more than little brushed discs!

I think @nod, with a well finished nice spec kitchen it cries out for S-BOX!

https://www.the-sbox.com/s-box-power/2-port-socket-twin-usb/

Not that I want to see anyone try and cut a rectangular hole in granite ;) ...personally I'd never sleep for fear of cracks emanating from the corners of the hole!

6 hours ago, daiking said:

We're still happy with our arrangement, discrete sockets have trailing lead issues and our island is big enough not to be ruined by using a pop-up plus we don't need to have things permanently plugged in so the island is usually clear.

Keep meaning to buy a couple of these but never got round to it. 

Thanks for the reply’s 

We are only looking for a charger and laptop point For a ocasional use Our island design doesn’t really lend itself to a bank of sockets under the worktop  

36 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I think @nod, with a well finished nice spec kitchen it cries out for S-BOX!

https://www.the-sbox.com/s-box-power/2-port-socket-twin-usb/

Not that I want to see anyone try and cut a rectangular hole in granite ;) ...personally I'd never sleep for fear of cracks emanating from the corners of the hole!

Now that’s a carbuncle. Looks like a GCSE D&T project.

sockets + usb are definite requirements. The Bluetooth speaker in ours was useful for a couple of years but has now been made obsolete by my Sonos.

what a manufacturer needs to do now is make the top of the pop up bit a wireless charger so you don’t necessarily need to raise it and plug in to charge a Modern phone.

Edited by daiking

I fitted that CPC one (though I paid more elsewhere because CPC's search fcility is so rubbish I could not find it on their site)  I chose it because it had to retract down into a 70mm wide gap between the back of the units and the island back panel. That one fits into a 60mm diameter hole.

Most of the others I looked at typically needed a 90mm hole or even larger.

My advice is buy the socket now, so it is available to see when they come to template for the worktop.

We have two in the kitchen.  One in the middle of the island so if I am in bake off mode I can have the mixer plugged in and not have any cables in the way.  There is always phone charger leads plugged in to it as well.  We have short leads, 200mm, so the socket can be pushed down and the phone sits on top so is tidy looking. 

The  other one is in the corner of the L shape  bit and  is mostly for the  use of the  kettle and toaster.  Only problem we had with it was the hot tub blew the fuse.  

4 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

We have two in the kitchen.  One in the middle of the island so if I am in bake off mode I can have the mixer plugged in and not have any cables in the way.  There is always phone charger leads plugged in to it as well.  We have short leads, 200mm, so the socket can be pushed down and the phone sits on top so is tidy looking. 

The  other one is in the corner of the L shape  bit and  is mostly for the  use of the  kettle and toaster.  Only problem we had with it was the hot tub blew the fuse.  

Why would a hot tub plug into a pop up socket in the kirchen?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Wasn't anything weird or kinky  going on the corner pop up socket is right beside the window so was the  closest socket to put the hot tub lead into. 

These things are in essence just a mains extension lead.  I would no more plug a hot tub into one than I would the typical multi way extension lead you find behind tv's or computers.

Something like this might be a possibility, although I can see a potential issue with plugs that include a long moulded grommet:

http://floorbox.co.uk/stainless-power-grommet-usb

I've noticed that they come with a 2m lead and plug, so are really some type of extension, although perhaps they could be "hard wired" in.

The company do a range of products, although some seem less aesthetically pleasing than others.

We've got a sensiopod (in an oak island worktop, 90-92mm cut-out), and it is just like an extension lead that plugs into a socket at the back of a cupboard.  The sockets are upside down so you can push it back down whilst stuff is still plugged in.  I like it.  It doesn't get loads of use, but it's great when you want to use a recipe on the iPad and you're down to the last 5% charge, or want to blend/whisk a pan of something.  Just bear in mind that your location on the worktop will cost you some cupboard space underneath, so best put it to the back or side.