window film install

lizzie

Just now, lizzie said:

It is we are very lucky. Thank you.

The ONLY thing that would persuade me to do another build would be if we could get a plot with a view. Surrounded by other houses here, though not overlooked so reasonably private at least.

• Like 1

@NSS we bought the view and the private but not isolated location without much thought other than it was exactly what we wanted just about 5 miles outside our preferred area so not too bad. I can see clear to Malvern 40 miles away no buildings in between, on a good day I can pick out the buildings of Malvern town just with eye not binoculars.  Swinging round we see all the way to Clee Hill in Shropshire (Ludlow is behind the hill) and that is a long way again no buildings to impede. Going the other way back up the private road which leads down to us (we had to put in 70 metres of tarmac road to get down to the plot) it is about 10 minutes walk to the butchers, post office pub etc. It was a hugely lucky plot find but expensive on groundworks.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
31 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

Hi @lizzie hope you don’t mind me asking more questions about this, did you get a firm to do it and was it expensive? We’ve got the same problem as @Alexlarge cathedral window south facing and a lot of heat coming through 

@Christine Walker Yes I did get a firm to do it.  It would not have been a diy job for me and tbh I think best done by professionals having watched them do it.   I had to have a special film as my windows are laminated and the regular film was not suitable. From memory I paid about 2500 for all my windows on west and south.  (I didn't do north and east)

Thats 4 sets of good size sliders, 3 fixed windows the size of a door and a large picture window.  Sorry don't know sq m offhand. I was too late for vat reclaim but you should get vat free if you have not done your claim yet.

I used a firm from south of England (Im in midlands) but they operate nationwide.  If you want their details let me know I am very happy to recommend them.

We've just had window film installed and it seems to be working successfully in controlling heat gain.

We had 43m2  installed, on South and West facing windows at about £64/m2.  We looked at the 3M window film and that was £127/m2.   Happy to share details!

• Like 1

We had about 12m² of external heat reflecting film applied two or three years ago, at a cost of about £100/m².  It was a mix of Solargard and 3M Prestige.  It works very well at reducing solar gain, and made a significant difference to our need for summer cooling.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend an online supplier for these films?  Our daughters bedroom get's extremely hot when the sun shines in and keeping the curtains and thermal blinds down is nowhere near effective enough.

In Jersey we have a limited number of suppliers, and so options.  The only film I have been offered so far is Image Perfect ip303r, which I have found absolutely no information online for :(

Thanks!

Tim

I didn't manage to find a supplier who would just sell the external film when I was looking around.  I got the impression that the manufacturers had pretty much stitched things up so that they would only sell to authorised installers.

Installing the stuff seems to need a fair bit of expertise, together with some equipment.  The people that did ours had dispensers for the rols, a large guillotine to slice the film off, and some thin stainless steel shields that they used to protect the edges of the window frames when they sliced the film to size when partially bonded to the glass.

Fitting the stuff seemed pretty straightforward, they just thoroughly cleaned the glass and polished the surface, checking for anything that might be stuck to the surface, no matter how small (they ran wide blades over the glass).  They then sprayed water onto the glass and applied the film, using a squeegee to smooth it down and get the air bubbles out.  The film is self-adhesive, so not easy to handle once the backing has been removed, it took two people to apply most of the film to our windows.

Have you considered Roller Shutters aka External PVC or Wooden Roller Blinds?

They might be readily available in the UK soon as the Green Building Store has been in contact with a provider in Hungry and the French firm AvosDim which has a UK website

5 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I didn't manage to find a supplier who would just sell the external film when I was looking around.  I got the impression that the manufacturers had pretty much stitched things up so that they would only sell to authorised installers.

Installing the stuff seems to need a fair bit of expertise, together with some equipment.  The people that did ours had dispensers for the rols, a large guillotine to slice the film off, and some thin stainless steel shields that they used to protect the edges of the window frames when they sliced the film to size when partially bonded to the glass.

Fitting the stuff seemed pretty straightforward, they just thoroughly cleaned the glass and polished the surface, checking for anything that might be stuck to the surface, no matter how small (they ran wide blades over the glass).  They then sprayed water onto the glass and applied the film, using a squeegee to smooth it down and get the air bubbles out.  The film is self-adhesive, so not easy to handle once the backing has been removed, it took two people to apply most of the film to our windows.

Thanks @JSHarris, I know someone who is experienced at installing the stuff so that's OK.  I don't fancy it myself, I know exactly what would happen!

I may have to try a couple of UK places and see if they will send to me, given the circumstances, then comes the fun of getting VAT removed.  Or contact 3M and see if they can suggest someone locally.

5 hours ago, Gow said:

Have you considered Roller Shutters aka External PVC or Wooden Roller Blinds?

They might be readily available in the UK soon as the Green Building Store has been in contact with a provider in Hungry and the French firm AvosDim which has a UK website

Had I anticipated the issue before the EWI was installed 3 years ago, I would have likely done this.  However it would be a massive nightmare now, and I wouldn't have space above to place it or anywhere to affix it to the building! :(

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

Pity about the timing, as we're heading over to Sark for a few days from tomorrow.  Could have brought a roll or too over with me and had it forwarded on from Guernsey to save a bit of postage.

Argh that would have been ideal!  You have so much spare?!

Never mind, I should have posted 2 weeks back when I realised the issue...

Thanks for the offer, very much appreciated!

Edited by phatboy

• 2 weeks later...

Well, for a window of area of just under 1.2m square, I've been quoted an astounding £396, of which 285 is the 3m material.

Looks like ill be boarding up the window!

Can anyone suggest any good films that I may be able to buy myself?

Thanks

Tim

• 2 months later...

Back to the window film, been looking at this again as we’ve had an awful lot of heat coming in this summer but unfortunately no funds to do anything about it however things are moving on again and I started to think about getting this done soon, does anyone have the all weather film which apparently keeps the cold out in winter and the sun out in summer, was thinking it might be as well to go the whole hog!?

In the end, I went for Solyx UltraCool-IR70 Solar Control Film.  It's certainly helped since being installed at the end of July, the temperature in the south facing bedrooms has reduced by 2 degrees Celsius, matching the temperature of the east facing rooms.  And that's without the blinds even being down.  It does also claim to help keep heat in during winter, but only time will tell...

Fortunately I have a friend who is experienced in fitting the films, and has access to a cutting machine, so 6 metres of film was £250, cutting and fitting was £50 :)

• Like 1