Who’s been on what?

Gav_P

So there seems to be an endless stream of TV programmes with self builders etc but I only actually know 1 person who has ever been on any building show... and that was DIY SOS in Bristol the other week... he had one line when asked his age...”47” amoungst a bunch of 20 YO’s shovelling tons of sand.

There are 2 “grand designs” near me but never met the lunatics who decided to put the most stressful parts of their lives on show for no financial reward. 

Who here, if anybody, has been on TV? 

I think @JSHarris was on scrap heap challenge and @Nickfromwales was on DIY SOS.... anyone else???

35 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Me on NZ telly:

It seems every NZ programme a total pisstake of itself. The news reports sounds like Rhys Darby! “It’s like a giant praying mantis or something out of thunderbirds” not something you’d hear on BBC.?

Edited by Gav_P

I was  on  an episode of "Frontiers of Construction" in 2000, which featured a mega-project, Sable Offshore Energy Project   in Canada, which I was the  General Manager of the Main Contractors Alliance Team. It was  North American  TV Series which has featured on various channels around the world.

Different world, different budget, different challenges  but make no mistake doing a self build by yourself is just as hard, just as challenging and  a lot more rewarding

Edited by HerbJ

@HerbJ nice project. Funny how things change in such a short time. Offshore wind farms now seem to be the bread and butter work to support the “glamorous” projects. I have 3 consulting companies supporting my (day job) project all of which have several large wind farms things ongoing at once. 

22 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

It seems every NZ programme a total pisstake of itself. The news reports sounds like Rhys Darby! “It’s like a giant praying mantis or something out of thunderbirds” not something you’d hear on BBC.?

I swear to God that was my line! Before filming I asked if we were to read from a script and they said no just talk in general and we'll edit it. First stuttering words out of my mouth were "Well.....it's been compared to.....a giant preying mantis.....or something out of Thunderbirds.....". Next thing we're sitting in a bar getting bladdered that evening and the news comes on the big screen. First words out of John McDermott's mouth were MINE! Then the slow realisation from the rest of the punters it was us Englishmen on the telly! 

• Haha 2

Interview on BBC News 24 back in 2008 or so when Tony and friends were doing 500k random Section 44 Stop and Searches per annum in search of terrorism without catching a single terrorist.

Self and girlfriend were searched after the suspicious activity of looking at the Local Area map at Kings Cross for more than 20 seconds.I think we were the padding to dilute the stats.

The Officer said ‘yes, I believe you may be a terrorist’ when challenged, with a straight face.

I landed a blog post at no 1 on Google for the relevant term and some Beeboid was doing research via the usual method, and asked for an interview.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Random selection of Escape to the Country, the Incredible Spice Men and I think I might have been hovering around in Michael Wood's Great British Story.

Can't understand the dynamic of renovation or build programmes as there seems to be little incentive cash wise for the participants, and to make good TV even with the 'best' project the producers need to drill into some aspect to portray it as being about to go off the rails for there to be any drama in the episode, before they then come back to end it all with the well isn't this lovely bit at the end.

ITV Telethon '88 (round Britain drive)

Sky Sports News and Meridian TV (Charity cycle ride from Middlesbrough to Southampton in 2005)

Channel 4 documentary about the scandal of CJD infected HGH being injected into GHD kids in the 1970's (circa 1993).

My friend actively applies to go on TV shows. She’s been on many over the years including Eggheads, Bargain Hunt, To Buy Or Not To Buy. She must have too much time on her hands! I can’t see the appeal personally but each to their own I guess. 

1 hour ago, newhome said:

My friend actively applies to go on TV shows. She’s been on many over the years including Eggheads, Bargain Hunt, To Buy Or Not To Buy. She must have too much time on her hands! I can’t see the appeal personally but each to their own I guess. 

But did she win?

I have thought about that. Want to end the introduction with ‘But I’d rather be a millionaire’.

Eggheads and Pointless seem interesting at present, but I need team members who know about pop music, ‘classic

‘ English Lit,  soap and real operas, film, and football. Sounds like a person with aspirations who didn’t quite make Chiswick, and is now stuck with Corrie, plus a sports nerd. For Eggheads I would need a polymath. Where’s the Good Doctor when you need him?

My favourite performance was an unnamed person on Celebrity Mastermind declaring that Henry VII was after Henry VIII.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

52 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

But did she win?

You make the assumption that I watched any of them or gave a damn! ?

I know 2 people who went on A Place In The Country. One of them did buy one of the properties (in Devon) and is still there now, and the other made an even bigger move and emigrated to Australia instead. I also know someone who went on Grand Designs and converted a water tower into a home. They are now in the process of selling it a few years on. It never seemed very practical to me TBH. 

14 minutes ago, newhome said:

I also know someone who went on Grand Designs and converted a water tower into a home.

That reduces it to about 20 possibles ! Including the 9 storey tower in the hospital car park in London that had a design concept like a mini Trellick Tower ?, and was arguably very cool indeed but looked like a future maintenance hostage to fortune.

One assumes that if she won bigtime you would have been tied down and told about it !

F

Edited by Ferdinand

One thing about all these shows where the public are the "celebrities" is that they are really cheap to produce, cheaper even than game shows, I believe.  That's a big attraction for the production companies, especially if the show proves to be popular and can command a premium price when sold to broadcasters.  I strongly suspect that without shows like these the production companies wouldn't be able to fund the big drama programmes, as they cost an absolute fortune to produce.

17 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

One assumes that if she won bigtime you would have been tied down and told about it !

Ha ha, why do you think I moved to Scotland ?

19 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

That reduces it to about 20 possibles ! 

This one 

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/features/homes-gardens-and-interiors/grand-designs-home-goes-on-124705/