Render Board Installition Guide

Triassic

I'm planning my render board installation and was wondering if there was such a thing as a standard render board installation guide, giving details such as the batten support around windows, doors, corners etc, the number and type of screws per panel. I also see that there is a range of render board materials and thicknesses, is there anything I need to be looking out for?

Edited by Triassic

As I'm doing a timber frame, are there particular render products I should be using with BBA approval for said timber frame? I notice that the K-rend I was thinking of using is not BBA approved for timber frame.

Should timber battens, used to support external render board, be protected with a strip of dpc material placed between the batten and the board?

Edited by Triassic

Siniat Bluclad has standard installation details and BBA cert with Weber renders. I have used it with the Weber but we just used Weber LAC - mesh coat and top coat - sponge finished then masonry paint.  No cracks or customer complaints after 8 years.

I use Knauf 2.4 x 900 

Reall easy to use Never any problems Bit pricey at nearly 20 quid each 

150 centre 

As long as they are completely base coated and messed 

never a problem 

K rend or Stooka are prefered

Never take a job on with Webber now Not the best colour matches All there reps are total dicks 

Same patter contaminated water mixed wrong 

Temp to high to low 

On 30/10/2018 at 16:57, Mr Punter said:

Siniat Bluclad has standard installation details and BBA cert with Weber renders. I have used it with the Weber but we just used Weber LAC - mesh coat and top coat - sponge finished then masonry paint.  No cracks or customer complaints after 8 years.

Many idea of a rough price per sq m for applying the Weber MT system to a render board?

OP, I’m about to complete my timber frame with Bluclad and Weber’s MT system, all details are on the systems BBA certificate I think. Have you had any quotes for the render? I’m looking at approx £68/sq m for rendering (excluding board fixing by others)

weber.rend MT Siniat Bluclad.pdf.pdf

Edited by Gary G
Edit to add cert

26 minutes ago, Gary G said:

Having said that, I’ve now attached the cert and there’s not a huge amount regarding fixing!

Really poor when a big firm does not give clear fixing instructions including, size, type, location and spacing of fixings.  Get in touch with their technical dept as it is their job.  I think it was owned by a different firm when we used it and I think I remember them having a fixing spec.

Edited by Mr Punter
Added info

I’ve spent ages looking at boards and think I’ve decided on bluclad (also feedback from trades is its easier to work with which might interest you if fitting yourself)

Ive had two render prices for attached- works out about 100sqm. Coming in at £6800-£7500 for render materials and labour. My carpenter has battened and will be fitting the boards, labour only £3700! So I’m basically looking at about £13k (inc boards) to complete the ground floor only, by comparison Marley board on the first floor is about £3k cheaper for a larger area!

Regs_Gray_B_L02_(Elevations).pdf

I fitted the battens and moisture resistant render board myself. This cost about £4000 for 280sqm and then the Parex render cost about £15,000. It is not cheap but this is predominantly the major part of the exterior of the house

• 2 years later...

Looking for some help on battens here. I'm going with Knauf aquapanel, I was planning on 50 x 50 battens, but not sure if it shoudl be rough sawn treated battens  which are 47 x 50mm or should be 45 x 45 stress graded? I feel like it shoudl be the first type but having a wobble if anyone can help. 

• 1 year later...

I am at the same stage as @SuperJohnG looking to buy correct battens and fit myself. The STS boards I am using has guidance and states 25 x 60mm battens but notes that a 50mm cavity is needed in Scotland. So that means a 50 x 60 batten which I can't find anywhere online as a treated batten. I had been planning to use 50 x 50 but not sure the 50mm width would be enough to butt 2 boards and provide for the 3-5 mm gap I need to leave between boards.

Can you get 50 x 60 treated battens? Am I going to have to consider butting two 50x50 together? thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2023 at 22:40, markharro said:

can anyone offer any advice on this - need to find answers soon so I can progress. thanks

Don't stress get standard treated battens at 47 x 50mm. As long as they are treated for external use..