Knocking a house down.

While I am sure prices vary enormously, is anyone able to give a rought idea how much to allocate to knock down a property?  Its a 1950's house with a horrible extension on the back.  Some of the parts may be able to be sold to reclamation but assuming not, what sort of price would i be looking at?  £20k or £50k??  More??

Main Property Image

We demolished our 1950s bungalow (approx 100m2) plus concrete garage and 3 outhouses for £3k including breakage of footings and disposal. Asbestos survey and clearance was separate - a bit over £2k. This is in Bucks. We had quotes that went much higher - almost double.

Edited by ragg987
corrected prices - memoey is fading...
  • Like 1

Do you really want to knock that down?

I might be in the minority here, but that looks too good and to pretty (from the front at least) to just flatten.

It looks to be on a large plot. I would be more thinking in terms of keep and renovate old house, split plot and build a new one. Without seeing the whole plot and the surroundings, the obvious thing would be existing house to right of driveway as you enter, build new house to left of driveway as you enter.

I fear to do anything else and it will be a very expensive building plot.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I might be in the minority here, but that looks too good and to pretty (from the front at least) to just flatten.

I'll be in the minority with you :D

To answer the OP we've budgeted £5k for demolition and clearance of our existing house. I'm hoping to come under that.

Depends on if you want to knock it down or take it down. If it's being knocked down a few days hire of a 13t digger and driver and it will be gone. You can spread the remaining material over the plot for a better road in or just to raise the levels. Only other cost is disposal if you can't use it on site.

Taking it down so you salvage materials takes time so costs more. But you might make money back depending on what's there.

That picture is a bit deceiving as it was taken by the estate agent a while ago.  The drive has now moved to directly underneath the camera and enters the site opp the front door and all that area to the right of the drive (from that pole at the far end to below the camera, marked by the sticks in the grass) is a building plot for three houses which has already been sold.  So there isnt as much room as you'd think. And while the house does look really nice, it needs a huge amount of work to refigure it and bring up to the 21st century. The area to the far left, running alongside the fenceline, was the plot we were buying last year. The vendor will not sell the plot till he sells the house, in case the new owner wants the whole garden.  I would if I bought the house, as without the plot, the house is too large for the space.  And we cannot afford the house and the renovation.

My thought is to buy the whole thing and divide the whole area into three plots.  If I can find another two self builders who want to join in.  Its something I'm thinking about but nothing set in stone yet.  Thats why I am asking the question of demolition. 

Edited by TheMitchells

We got a ball park quote of £20K (including £8K for asbestos removal) to knock down and remove all trace of this:

Thought it a bit much but cannot avoid the asbestos work so will get them to do that, DIY defo denied by light of my life as both her father and his brother died of asbestosis, but will demolish the place myself once its all gone. I reckon one good push with the digger should do it. Although not sure I can write that on the method statement I need to send back with the demolition forms to the council the eletricity company, gas company, the neighbours and uncle Tom Cobbly and all, also have to have substancial hordings in place, means to to keep dust under control........ Hmm perhaps on relfection £20K does not seem so bad.

20150312_164308.jpg

Edited by MikeSharp01
Typos
  • Like 1

Ours was around £7k to knock down and remove a small bungalow and detached concrete prefab garage in Hampshire/Surrey borders, including disposal of (low risk) asbestos floor tiles.  That was the cheapest quote by some way - wouldn't have taken it if we hadn't had a recommendation from someone else who'd used them.

17 hours ago, TheMitchells said:

While I am sure prices vary enormously, is anyone able to give a rought idea how much to allocate to knock down a property?  Its a 1950's house with a horrible extension on the back.  Some of the parts may be able to be sold to reclamation but assuming not, what sort of price would i be looking at?  £20k or £50k??  More??

Main Property Image

For a number to demolish and cart away, I'd guess 15-20k plus asbestos would be a ballpark, but that is just my guess.

That looks - depending on area - that a clad + reroof refurb may be better value, possibly.

Or perhaps demolish/replace just the extension to leave (guess) 2000sqft, then insulate/render the rest. Coul be cost effectrve.

I am sure there is a TV programme about them. Pure white with a flat roof - 1950s international style.

Though you might get 3-6 on the garden.

I hope you wouldn't be responsible for replacing the fence !

F

Edited by Ferdinand

16 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

We got a ball park quote of £20K (including £8K for asbestos removal) to knock down and remove all trace of this:

Thought it a bit much but cannot avoid the asbestos work so will get them to do that, DIY defo denied by light of my life as both her father and his brother died of asbestosis, but will demolish the place myself once its all gone. I reckon one good push with the digger should do it. Although not sure I can write that on the method statement I need to send back with the demolition forms to the council the eletricity company, gas company, the neighbours and uncle Tom Cobbly and all, also have to have substancial hordings in place, means to to keep dust under control........ Hmm perhaps on relfection £20K does not seem so bad.

20150312_164308.jpg

I think I'm in the MAJORITY here that THAT is begging to be demolished! xD

• Like 1

while I would love to renovate the house, its just out of our price range unless anyone out there fancies lending us the odd £300k.  I promise I'd pay it back.  then we could build in the garden and renovate the house..... Ahh, if only!