Isle of Wight new build

D Walter

Hello and thanks for a really informative forum.

We are building a 220 m2 icf structure on the Isle of Wight in a reasonably exposed SSW facing location.  The house will be clad in a mixture of Tata standing seam steel and larch, with a Tata roof.  We have concrete floors with underfloor heating and will be using mechanical ventilation (MVHR).  Work started mid June and we have been helped by a dry summer and autumn.  I anticipate we will be measuring up for windows and for roofing mid to late November.  I attach a couple of pictures and plans20181023_164945.thumb.jpg.e4689800bebd660c61c630380a4f88b5.jpg.

20181015_163930.jpg

169_TR02_REV_J_PROPOSED_GROUND_FLOOR_PLAN.pdf

169_TR03_REV_J_PROPOSED_FIRST_FLOOR_ROOF_PLAN_AND_GARAGE_PLAN.pdf

169 TR06 REV H PROPOSED NW SW ELEVATIONS.pdf

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Onoff said:

Quite a lot of derelict / boarded up places there seem ripe for development.

Problem is they are overpriced or have punitive second home council tax regimes. The IoW has very little by way of industry to support the islanders and is separated by the worlds most expensive stretch of water. 

We have looked a few times at places but by the time you factor in the ferry into daily life, it becomes unworkable. 

I have family on the Island who have lived there all their lives, and we used to holiday there a lot when I was small.  The Island has also been one of my regular "fly somewhere for lunch" destinations for years, as it's only a half hour flight from my local strip.  As a consequence, it was one of the places we looked at when plot hunting; we spent a week there looking around at everything from bare plots to knock down and rebuild projects.

We only found one plot that we thought might have possibilities, towards the West end of the Island, in Wellow, but it was expensive we thought.  In the end we decided against it largely because we weren't sure we could adapt to being a ferry ride away from ageing parents (most of whom were still alive then).  If not from the Island I suspect it might take time to adapt to living there, as distinct from being on holiday, as it does feel at times as if the 21st century hasn't arrived there yet!

Thanks PeterW.  Yes, I suppose I could do a blog - lots of photos... 

If any of you are on the Island let me know and I will show you round.  It is a good place to live, particularly if you like a relaxed pace with plenty of walking, cycling and sailing.

9 minutes ago, D Walter said:

Thanks PeterW.  Yes, I suppose I could do a blog - lots of photos... 

If any of you are on the Island let me know and I will show you round.  It is a good place to live, particularly if you like a relaxed pace with plenty of walking, cycling and sailing.

Ah sounds like another rag and stick member on the forum then.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...