MVHR filters

Bit of housekeeping today, changed filters on the unit. Been in since mid Aug and I have given them a periodic shake out during that time but they were ready for a change.

In my ceiling extract point I have removable filters too. I have rinsed them a few times and resused but today I put new ones in as I think it was time.

This pic is of the removed ones from bathrooms and dressing area....about 6 weeks since I last rinsed them out and they were filthy today.  Wierdly the kitchen ones were quite clean (inc grease filters) so I didnt change those. Plant room , utility and w.c. were not bad but I changed them anyway.

Given state of bathroom filters how often do you think I should be checking them?  I need someone to be here with me to do it as I am not steady on the ladder LOL

B6294B52-D628-4A77-90A3-881626E4C5F4.jpeg

No done twice since fire........  Room filters are optional extra, hopefully keep pipes nice and clean. I didnt want anything lurking up there growing bugs I might breathe in, once had a flat with warm air heating never forget the filthy mess that built up in that.

OH is a talc fiend so could understand his bathroom one being so bad but mine is almost as bad and I never use any dusty products and his bathroom is well away from mine. Seeing all that is a worry, god knows what is being breathed in.

The unit incoming filter is grey and yukky as you would expect, the unit extract filter is pretty clean as most must be captured by the room vents.

Interesting indeed.

I did ours not long back. The only filters are either side of the heat exchanger core inside the mvhr. They are what I cal "cooker hood filter" material, just a woven sort of plastic mesh, though much much thicker than used in cooker hoods. 

When I checked ours, they were just a bit grey with what looked like ordinary fine, dry "house dust".  I removed them, beat them outside, hoovered them clean, and put them back.

I take it those filters did not start life black in colour?

• 1 year later...

I'm just looking through similar filtered vents, so far the only ones I've found are here;

flush and retrofit

Square and round surface mount

Not sure on the ones in Lizzie's photos above are, guessing might be similar to the lower link.

I'd be interested to know if others have any other options

Also found some nuaire filtered vents with internal cone filter, but need quite tall space in plenum for them.

Nuaire vent

Edited by JFDIY
To add nuaire info

Hi, thanks for this info. I'll be getting some of this- perhaps also good in the external intake to prevent flies etc also?  I'm just a little concerned about the cost- 1m2 used in two all my intakes would last only approx 300 years!! ?