Thank you gifts

So we are planning to move in next weekend.  The house won't be finished but it will be liveable. Whilst there is no love lost between us and the main contractor there have been some contractors (electrician, plumbers etc) that have been great and I would like to give them a thank you gift.  Any ideas?  I don't know them very well as I don't live onsite so I can't get anything personalised.  The default is some beer but wondered if anyone had any other ideas?

Beer or wine always goes down well - I made a judgement as to whether they were likely to be beer or wine people and gifted as I thought best, with two exceptions.  One was for a great chap who's partner was about to given birth to their first child, so I though a bottle of bubbly might be more appropriate and one was a chap who's young lad was terminally ill and who was fund raising for the local hospice, so I felt a donation would be more appropriate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Beer or wine always goes down well - I made a judgement as to whether they were likely to be beer or wine people and gifted as I thought best, with two exceptions.  One was for a great chap who's partner was about to given birth to their first child, so I though a bottle of bubbly might be more appropriate and one was a chap who's young lad was terminally ill and who was fund raising for the local hospice, so I felt a donation would be more appropriate.

That was very thoughtful

• Like 1

Christmas is coming - a bottle of fizz and a 'tin' of Quality Street or Roses or one of the others.

Even none drinkers - unless they are vehemently against alcohol will either have a drink around Christmas or at least offer it to others.  I'm a red wine drinker myself but celebrations always bring out the fizz.  Doesn't have to be expensive either these days - decent Cava, prosecco or even English.

• Thanks 1

If you want to include a non-alcoholic choice, take a look at Aldi's 'Zero point zero'.  It's in the fizzy wine section, looks like a swanky bottle of prosecco.  It's a non-alcoholic bubbly but tastes lovely, quite dry and nothing like standard soft drinks.  Also, it only costs £2.49 for a bottle, so easy to add in.  I served it up to a bunch of girlfriends recently and they nearly fell off their bar stools when I told them what they were drinking - a big thumbs up to it from a blind taste test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

No, worse, far worse - Spencer...

It's one thing I can blame my father for, he was a fanatical admirer of Winston Spencer Churchill...

At least your first name isn’t Frank ?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, vivienz said:

.  I served it up to a bunch of girlfriends recently and they nearly fell off their bar stools when I told them what they were drinking - a big thumbs up to it from a blind taste test.

Thanks @vivienz that will do for the many ? occasions I have to drive these days. 

10 hours ago, Jude1234 said:

So we are planning to move in next weekend.  The house won't be finished but it will be liveable. Whilst there is no love lost between us and the main contractor there have been some contractors (electrician, plumbers etc) that have been great and I would like to give them a thank you gift.  Any ideas?  I don't know them very well as I don't live onsite so I can't get anything personalised.  The default is some beer but wondered if anyone had any other ideas?

If you turn up and by everyone’s lunch

That would be appreciated 

Quite unual to get a thank you 

Not all builder smoke or drink

Real nice that you are thinking of them

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nod said:

If you turn up and by everyone’s lunch

That would be appreciated 

Quite unual to get a thank you 

Not all builder smoke or drink

Real nice that you are thinking of them

THats a good idea. Near us there is a really good butchers that also cooks their sausages so sausage baps all round!

Well I was so pleased with my two builders (bricky, plasterer general builder) I gave them £100 each, both have become friends of ours and we could not have asked for better. Our budget did not overrun (mainly thanks to them) even though I was ill during the build and could not do all that I wanted to do, well worth the money.