Multiswitches

Evening all,

Before I board the down stair ceilings I need to run some cat 5 / 6 etc to the TV points.  I would like to have satellite + radio + internet available + TV available at each point so I think I need to use multiswitches?  Never done anything like this before so does anyone have advice?  Planning on ringing manufacturers for info but I appreciate the unbiased comments that normally flow from this forum!

Cheers

Just run multiple cable from all tv points to a central hub, in my case in the under stairs cupboard then you can patch anything through to any tv.

I have an octo LNB on thr dish. I really don't think I will need more than 8 points in use, but of course if I do, I could change the octo for a quatro lnb and fit a multiswitch in the under stairs bupboard.

Guest Alphonsox

Be aware that if you are considering Sky satellite using new-ish Sky-Q boxes and wide band LNBs things get a bit more complicated. In particular the above mentioned loft boxes aren't compatible and the standard Tri/Diplexing of radio and TV onto the Satellite feeds is no longer possible.

10 hours ago, ProDave said:

Just run multiple cable from all tv points to a central hub

What type of cable have you run? 

We were just going to use a freeview dish rather than a Sky one.

Thanks for the replies.

Guest Alphonsox
25 minutes ago, CC45 said:

Thanks for the replies.

I've used twin/shotgun Webro WF100 everywhere.

35 minutes ago, CC45 said:

Thanks for the replies.

I ordered an ordinary drum of plain old RG6 from a well known "tool" supplier but what turned up was a huge drum of very expensive labgear twin shotgun WF100 so it would have been impolite not to have used that.

The point about all cables converging in an accessible place, is should we ever (heaven forbid) want sky and it needs a direct feed, then we can patch a direct feed through to any room, and should I need extra cables, there is space in the hockey stick that exits the floor of the under stairs cupboard and comes out of the wall under where the deck will go (with a trap door in the deck to access it)

I have 3 coaxes going to each tv point back to the hub, only 1 in use at each presently for the freeview aerial.

To see more, look at my blog (link in signature) and look for the entry "The Electrical cupboard"

2 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

Tri/Diplexing of radio and TV onto the Satellite feeds is no longer possible.

You can get multiswitches to support Sky Q (Sky no longer supply Sky+) they are DSCR ones (expensive).  I have an 8 port one from Triax.  With a DSCR switch you just use a Quattro LNB, not Quad and feed the 4 inputs, then you only need one COax to each TV output as all the Sat signals and TV signals go down the single line.  I would run two cable though to each major TV point as TV takes one feed (plus Sat if you have a top of the range TV.  Sky Q takes a Sat feed only no RF so you can get away with one but two covers future use.

Sky engineers need to be told how to set it up though as it is considered as a flats install not domestic and they all dont know how to do it.

Press home

Scroll down to settings but don't press select

Press 0 0 1 Select 

Change LNB type from Wideband to SCR

Press home

Pull power out back and reboot

Future proofing with the cable runs is a good idea, you can add a DSCR multiswitch if/when you get SkyQ.  If you are considering distribution I would recommend fitting a Quattro LNB (each of the 4 HV, HH, LV, LH channels is separate) and a multiswitch which also takes the terrestrial TV (and possibly Radio) around to each output and break out on a triplexer plate (SAT, TV, RADIO) with two of them behind you main TV.

OK so I think this is the plan.

Freesat dish + TV + FM / DAB mounted

2 feeds of Webro WF100 twin satellite - coax cable from the dish down to a cupboard under the stairs

1 feed of Webro WF100 twin from TV & FM / DAB down to cupboard under the stairs

1 feed of Webro WF100 twin taken to cupboard - spare just in case any are damaged

Could I use this https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CAPF2100BW.html rather than the Webro WF100?  Just based on price really.  Is there likely to be any difference in the real world?

In cupboard:

Multiswitch / loftbox

From cupboard to each Sat / TV / FM / DAB point:

Run 2 cables of Webro WF100 twin (or the TLC cable above maybe) to each point.  1 twin to feed sat outlet & 1 to feed TV & radio point.  2nd cable for future proofing.

Triplex unit fitted

I also thought of running two Cat 6 cables to each room from the cupboard - one for internet connection & the 2nd as a spare.  If I did this then I'd use grid or quadruplex units.

Does this all make sense?

once again - thanks for any comments.

From your cupboard out to your TV points I'd certainly recommend a twin feed of WF100 (or equiv) and a pair of cat6a cables. This is what I've done to each Tv point - I've put them in to a quad plate with 1 x SAT, 1 x SAT/TV/FM (using a quadplex outlet) and then two cat6a outlets (cat5e in my case).

IMG_20181031_103144.thumb.jpg.a836d82d051854c6f608cc432cb32129.jpg

Quadplexer - https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-tv-fm-2-satellite-quadruplex-grid-module-white/31768

Edit - for some reason I didn't read the earlier replies re tri/quad plexing. so yes, for SkyQ you will need some additional sat only sockets. I guess you may only need to do this to you main TV point as the other SkyQ boxes all link over wifi/powerline/ethernet so don't actually need the sat feeds.

You're only going to do it once so perhaps put in more to future proof!

Edited by MrMagic
  • Thanks 1

Have you read my description of my system?

I haven't put the satellite receivers with the tv's I want less clutter particularly in the case of the wall hung tv.  My satellite boxes are in the under stairs cupboard with everything else, conveniently within reach of 10 metre long hdmi cables to each tv, and a wireless IR remote control extender so you can still control them from the living rooms.  As well as the coax, cat5 etc, I ran 2 long hdmi cables and a long component video cable to each tv.

But I do have the spare runs of coax in case that changes and there is a need for satellite boxes at the tv's.

Guest Alphonsox
1 hour ago, CC45 said:

Could I use this https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CAPF2100BW.html rather than the Webro WF100?  Just based on price really.  Is there likely to be any difference in the real world?

The more expensive cables use solid copper conductor and copper braiding in their construction. The cheaper cables use a copper coated steel core with a cheaper braid. For short runs there will be no difference (most of the country seems to be wired with this stuff) , for longer runs the DC resistance of the steel can cause issues. It's not clear from the technical description which type this TLC stuff is.

• 3 weeks later...

So the sat and cat 6 cables have arrived and the plan is to install them this weekend.  If they have to run in parallel to 2c&e elec cables  - what is the minimum safe distance they need to be separated from the elec cable.  I dont want any interference being picked up from the elec cable.  I assume the sat cable can be run in a loose bundle?  Likewise the cat 6 cable?  Can cat 6 and sat cable be run next door to each other?

Thanks in advance.