How long can vermin live in a sealed cavity?

joe90

14 minutes ago, Onoff said:

What flavour Bounty btw, blue or red, we love details! :)

Blue (I hope they are not fussy ?). I created a tunnel out of blocks along the wall and put the trap within it.

We leave scraps for the fox out and one rat is so brazen it will cross open ground. I've had in literally in my sights but SWMBO said not to so as not to upset the youngest! :( Plus I'd had a beer...

If the fox turns up and smells the rat it ignores the scraps & goes ballistic looking for it and following it's scent.

Edited by Onoff

Thought I would check the loft even tho I told the wife nothing could get up there, and found something had chewed the  expanding foam sealing the loft from the cavity. Set a couple of mouse traps with my best Red Leicester and BINGO, within 4 hours had caught a little field mouse, I have left the traps up there in case it was not alone. RESULT.?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sitting here with a beer watching Cobra Kai and there's a bastard trying to chew through the HARDBOARD (yes HARDBOARD :(wall about 2' from my elbow! 

Time to dig out the hole saw (Super Rod Cavity Master kit :)) & chuck a hole through the CHIPBOARD (yes and not even flooring grade chipboard) floor and sling a freezer bag of Neosorexa Gold down there for it to munch on.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Sitting here with a beer watching Cobra Kai and there's a bastard trying to chew through the HARDBOARD (yes HARDBOARD :(wall about 2' from my elbow! 

Time to dig out the hole saw (Super Rod Cavity Master kit :)) & chuck a hole through the CHIPBOARD (yes and not even flooring grade chipboard) floor and sling a freezer bag of Neosorexa Gold down there for it to munch on.

aaarrrrgggghhhhhh

18 minutes ago, lizzie said:

aaarrrrgggghhhhhh

I'll be SO glad to gut this lounge & diner to the bare bones and redo!

Where I went through the floor:

Photo0959_zpsaea42081.thumb.jpg.a44a155e43841f07aadf415e1b8c6513.jpg

The repair:

Photo0960_zps32ef3cef.thumb.jpg.6ee64377d12768586ba43ef823c23147.jpg

This was a while back. The collapsed board I've replaced. The chewing was just above that corner where the skirting is.

SAM_8020_zps6e93f535.thumb.jpg.fc327106d44a63a027ea41987a586abe.jpg

Edited by Onoff
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Onoff said:

sling a freezer bag of Neosorexa Gold down there for it to munch on.

Had a similar thing here. Sounded like a scratching herd of elephants above the services room ceiling (was likely a single mouse ;) ?). Made a hole in said ceiling and chucked a bag of poison up there. All quiet on the Western Front now. Can't be dealing with dead things in traps so poison it is. No smell either thank God so it must have taken itself off to die somewhere else. 

• Like 1

Living the dream here tonight!

Could only pull the carpet (if you can call it that) back so much:

20181116_194443

Sod's Law I missed  doing a clear hole and hit the threshold. Still theres a gap down into the void:

20181116_194703

20181116_194712

For some of this!

20181116_194904

Galvanised cover plate on and hoovered up! 

20181116_195412

Back to the telly! 

Discussed with my mate and when it happens well just open the patio doors and have a "gut it" weekend.  Ceilings down, walls to bare brick / block and floors, inc joists out. Got to sort the play room as a temporary lounge before that! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Discussed with my mate and when it happens well just open the patio doors and have a "gut it" weekend.  Ceilings down, walls to bare brick / block and floors, inc joists out. Got to sort the play room as a temporary lounge before that! 

Bloody hell, you'd better not take 8 years putting that lot back together when the time comes! :o

• Haha 1

Came downstairs this morning to do SWMBO breakfast and heard something above the lounge ceiling. Took tea etc back up and said "We've run out of poison!"

"I only wanted breakfast!" she said.

Off I went to the feed shop where I've been buying Neosorexa Gold for years to be told they don't sell it anymore as they don't have a poison licence. Told to try the nearby DIY shop and agricultural machinery place. 

Got some Big Cheese brand blocks and a bait station for £20.

Seems the rodentcide laws have change restricting sales, types and quantities that Joe Public can buy. Even farmers etc I think have to go on training courses.

There are all sorts of pointless regs these days. When I had lots of dogs I used to buy sheep wormer because it is exactly the same stuff as dog wormer in a much larger quantity and much more cost effective. I used to be able to buy it freely, then I had to fill in an online form stating how many sheep I had etc (we used to own sheep eons ago so I based my answers on that). At some point I imagine you might need real proof (down to 2 dogs now so just buy the pet one these days). 

I think only being able to buy 2 packets of paracetamol or ibuprofen is crazy too. People who need to take them daily due to chronic pain are disadvantaged by that. I know why they changed the regs but little thought as to how not to disadvantage others who need them. 

45 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Just bought the stuff I want off eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-x-100g-SACHETS-NEOSOREXA-GOLD-RAT-BAIT-RAT-POISON-PROFESSIONAL-GLOVES/112554663781?

You have to wonder how they circumvent the licence regs?

I've had the same with glyphosate.  I used to be able to go in the local farm store and buy the concentrated stuff for a fraction of the price they charge for the diluted stuff sold as Round Up and the like, but now that's restricted and can only be sold to account holders.  I can still buy 5 litre cans of Gallup 360 (now re-branded Gallup XL, I think) on eBay, though, and that's not supposed to be sold to the general public, it's professional use only.

2 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I've had the same with glyphosate.  I used to be able to go in the local farm store and buy the concentrated stuff for a fraction of the price they charge for the diluted stuff sold as Round Up and the like, but now that's restricted and can only be sold to account holders.  I can still buy 5 litre cans of Gallup 360 (now re-branded Gallup XL, I think) on eBay, though, and that's not supposed to be sold to the general public, it's professional use only.

This stuff is difenacoum, an indirect anticiagulant...works! 

Vitamin K1 is the antidote... :o

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Yep, Vitamin K is often given as an antidote to dogs who get hold of rat poison. Those people on Warfarin are advised to avoid consuming large quantities of food containing vitamin K as it can counter the effect of the drug. Warfarin used to also be routinely used as a rat poison too but it is much less effective that difenacoum that can kill with a single dose. 

23 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Not as sporting as a 410 or an air rifle, though.  Years ago, on my Mother's previous farm (an intensive pig farm), we had some old rubblestone barns that had been converted to house concrete block pig pens.  The block walls went around the base of the old rubblestone walls, to stop the pigs rooting out the lime mortar.  The result was a small gap between the barn walls and the block pen walls, where rats loved to hide.  We couldn't use poison, in case a poisoned rat came out and a pig ate it, so the only way to control them was to shoot them.

The block walls were around 4ft high, so the secret was to sit dead still with a gun ready to swing left or right if a rat popped up on to the wall.  I found the .22 Airsporter was a bit better than the 410, and didn't piss off the pigs as much.  Still damned tricky trying to hit a rat running along the top of the wall.  The bonus was if the rat fell into the pig pen after being shot, as pigs don't mess around when there's a bit of extra food chucked their way.

Just been out and cut off an overhanging branch from the cherry tree as sitting here having a cuppa, browsing the forum and a squirrel came down the tree outside. Think it came from my roof then down the tree. The tree's on borrowed time tbh ( overhanging the roof, lifting the patio etc) and this year was to be it's last but typically had the best fruit ever!

Should I paint the cut end with something?

18 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Not as sporting as a 410 or an air rifle, though.

Ha ha, when I was a kid I used to keep my horse on a farm that also had pigs and sheep. The farmer's kids and their friends used to camp out in the barn overnight on a 'shoot the rats' sleep over! They were stopped from doing it in the end as they kept blowing holes through the roof. I just hate rats. Can't be dealing with them at all after one grabbed my coat when I put my hand into one of the feed bins. I screamed the place down and the farmer came in, it ran into the corner of the room and he skewered it with a pitchfork. Never been able to be near one since although I had to deal with dead ones for A level biology. Dissection and creating a scientific drawing was part of the exam back then.