Miracast Dongle

Anyone use or recommend a Miracast, MiraScreen, Anycast type dongle? Like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-1080p-MiraCast-HDMI-Media-Streamer-TV-Player-Dongle-Wifi-Display-Receiver-ML/312263572414?hash=item48b45bfbbe:g:JnwAAOSwUVhbwXgU:rk:12:pf:0

Simply want to whack one in the back of a non smart TV via the HDMI so the youngest can "cast" her yoga or whatever videos to the telly from her phone. Cheap as chips but which one?

Ta

57 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

I use a chromecast to throw video from the PC/Ipad/Phone to the TV. Just works for most things.

Ta. No monthly subscription is there?

Edited by Onoff

Guest Alphonsox
53 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Ta. No monthly subscription is there?

No subscription, you just need to make sure the App running on the phone is chromecast enabled.

1 hour ago, Alphonsox said:

Isn't that something completely different ? i.e. not a casting device ?

Not sure tbh...it was cheap :)

It plugs into the TV's usb port solely for power. Then plugs into the TV's Ethernet port via the wee lead.

So far the phone sees it as a WiFi extender but I can't get it to connect to the internet.

Not investigated the Kodi bit yet. Interestingly it'll play H.265 .mkv from a stick or external HDD. Also a crystal clear pic using Discord and my lads Logitech webcam. Netflix fine. Whatsapp had some issues.

It's got a web browser. Basically turns the telly into a big Android 7.0 tablet.

Aside from modernising the daughter's Sony I'm just really looking to give the main tv, an old 42" Sharp a new lease of life in line with our changed viewing habits. So we can watch Netflix then flick to Discord and video chat with my lad etc. Really didn't think the webcam would plug and play.

When I knock through the lounge /diner (a much bigger job than it sounds) we'll get a bfo all singing 'n dancing 65" or bigger.

The Android box has Miracast built in, the initial reason for the thread. Guessing I need an app on the phone to be able to stream content from it to the TV? Watching say YouTube on the phone and I get the option to "Cast to..." and it says "Finding devices..." but nothing happens...

Edited by Onoff