timber windows, paint or varnish internal window sill/board

Jude1234

We have powder coated composite windows from Rational with clear varnish on the timber internally.  The window sills (or boards as they may be called) are just normal timber not oak.  Just wondering if I should gloss these to match the skirting/architrave or apply a clear varnish to be like the frames.  What have other people done?  I have always had white pvc frames and then white gloss window cills so struggling to picture which would look best.

I'd probably stick with the varnish.  Once you white gloss them, you'll need to repaint every few years as it turns through cream and yellows with age.  White gloss looks lovely, IMO, but it's not a low mainenance approach.

• Thanks 1

Are they fitted yet? Best to seal them all around before fitting to avoid cupping and warping particularly for big or deep window boards. That goes for whatever method you choose. 

If you go varnish you can always white gloss in a year or two.

Two suppliers I have spoken to have warned me away from internal timber finishes in that they are more difficult to rectify in the case of scratching (to be fair, we do have young kids and a several kickable prospective doors).

Similarly, stains when someone spill something on the window board?

Just thinking...

• Thanks 1

Instead of varnish consider Osmo hardwax oil. It's more like a varnish than an oil but its said to be easier to recoat or repair than varnish. Its intended for wood floors. May come in different colours but I've not checked. We used the standard version. Not as glossy as varnish.

Edited by Temp
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1