Cladding ideas

Russell griffiths

In the pic you can see timber cladding with a visible open join, what sort of backing do you think maybe behind this or do you think it would be open

im open to any ideas

in my area I’m worried that an open joint would be the hiding place for 30,000 spiders and other creepy crawlies 

would prefer fully sealed up with an air gap top and bottom with insect mesh on them. 9D4E7B4B-ADF3-499A-B31B-023933A826C3.thumb.png.dfe29ff3154629b387976527dd0a594e.png

Cheers russ. 

I've seen open spaced timber cladding fitted over a simple membrane and recently over profile metal sheets. I would have thought roof overhang and how exposed the site is in terms of weather would dictate type of backing.

• Like 1

But is that stuff uv stable....don’t want it falling apart after 2 years.  I couldn’t find any that was so went for black coated metal insect mesh in that position......though the black coating will probably degrade too.  It’s then tedious consistently spacing each board, with nothing to push up to in order to automatically create the right spacing (so make a spacer I hear you say).  If you then view your wall from 45 degrees, with 20mm thick square cut cladding you’ll need a 20+mm spacing to appreciate it......

If the meeting board edges aren’t both square cut but at different angles they’ll stand off each other creating a deep shadow gap but also be fully ‘closed’. The perception of gap will be there.

Or buy cladding that’s profiled for a shadow gap like https://www.vastern.co.uk/cladding/halflap-cladding/ , but these generally only chop back half the depth so seem to me less convincing.

I might be talking rubbish on all this but it’s where my limited experience so far is leading me.

• Like 1

I went for a vertical board with a hidden fixing gives a bit of an impression of shadow gap from a distance.  I have the black mesh behind too.  I didnt want evey thing in town setting up home in my walls plus its better as rain screen not to have open I was told.

I did a last minute swerve from cedar to larch as fell in love with this particular one.  Got mine from Vincent timber in Birmingham and they have a good web site and helpful on phone too.  Ironic really I searched the Uk for cladding and finally found it 20 miles down the road.

Something I highly recommend ...and it was suggested by my ace carpenter is the 

aluminium ‘head’ cladding over windows.  He said if just left as timber it woudl be the bit that deteriorated first and this gave it some shelter.  Looks good with the windows too.  We got the company who made our aluminium trims around the eps to fabricate them.

455D33FC-FF3A-4C73-ADD7-2B58C9A755E5.thumb.jpeg.d3464339b0c61cf59356b75e7d6a73a7.jpeg

26FBAE29-8D2A-4E39-9BD3-6360827C1283.jpeg

• Like 1

We're doing something very similar and are using a replica of VHL7 on this link.

https://www.vastern.co.uk/cladding/halflap-cladding/

Looks like rain screen but is closed up by the half lap. We're not actually getting it from Vastern as we're having home grown larch machined by a nearby sawmill but if you want Siberian Vastern have been really helpful.

Edited by bissoejosh
added detail

3 hours ago, lizzie said:

Something I highly recommend ...and it was suggested by my ace carpenter is the 

aluminium ‘head’ cladding over windows.  He said if just left as timber it woudl be the bit that deteriorated first and this gave it some shelter.  Looks good with the windows too.  We got the company who made our aluminium trims around the eps to fabricate them.

I like the look of this. Is it just an L shaped section? 

On 24/10/2018 at 18:26, bissoejosh said:

That would be really helpful thank you.

Sorry I forgot yesterday. Here are some close ups of the fitted piece over the window and some of the piece as fabricated. As well as a bit that tucks around the larch there is a piece that goes up behind to deflect water.

I have put spare piece against our bin store (made from left over larch) in pics hopefully that shows it.  Let me know if not.

IMG_1803.JPG

IMG_1802.JPG

IMG_1804.JPG

IMG_1805.JPG

IMG_1806.JPG

IMG_1807.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 24/10/2018 at 09:12, the_r_sole said:

https://novia.co.uk/breather-membranes/novia-black-115gsm-roof-and-wall-breather

put that over the battens then fix timber on top

At first sight, your answer solves the problem. But...

Your suggestion means that the back of the timber would be in direct contact with the membrane.  If that's the case, then would that not promote timber degradation where it is in contact with the membrane?

33 minutes ago, willbish said:

Ive never contemplated 2 high but yours looks safe as houses!

I cheat 

If it wobbles I poop my pants 

So I build it up , screw the scaf planks together then screw that to the timber frame !! ?