Putting a new spin on it...

NSS

We have a Growmate pyramid greenhouse like the one below. The glazed section lifts and rotates above the base and one section of glass lifts out to allow access to tend the stuff growing inside. Unfortunately, Mrs NSS is no longer able to get down on her knees (or get up again if she does) so I want to raise the whole thing up to a suitable height. That would of course be relatively easy, but I would actually like to make it so the whole thing, base and all, can easily rotate too, thus allowing her to sit in one position and turn it as needed to access each segment. Effectively, it needs to sit on a large 'Lazy Susan', but one which will cope with a total weight of perhaps 150 to 200kgs. Any ideas as to what I could use without having to spend a small fortune?

Pyramid.jpg

12 hours ago, Onoff said:

A Roballo slewing bearing is what you want. Let me make some enquiries and see if I can get one off a mate.

Had never heard of a slewing bearing but they look to be a potentially ideal solution ?

47 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I have seen something similar that used large rubber casters, like shopping trolley wheels 

I have seen them used either rubber side down or rubber up. 

With a channel track to keep the wheels in position. 

I did consider this, much like a microwave turntable, but thought it might end up being a bit cumbersome. It needs to be something that will move relatively freely or Mrs NSS simply won't be able to turn it from a seated position.

27 minutes ago, NSS said:

Had never heard of a slewing bearing but they look to be a potentially ideal solution ?

Not cheap. Trying a few old mates to see if they have one. About 18" - 2 ' diameter the ones I'm thinking of.

There are fabricated versions using a central, bearinged shaft etc.

This maybe:

https://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/products/tools-and-accessories/accessories/turntable-360-450kg-capacity

You'd still need "outrigger" casters at the near edge of the structure.

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Not cheap. Trying a few old mates to see if they have one. About 18" - 2 ' diameter the ones I'm thinking of.

There are fabricated versions using a central, bearinged shaft etc.

This maybe:

https://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/products/tools-and-accessories/accessories/turntable-360-450kg-capacity

You'd still need "outrigger" casters at the near edge of the structure.

Yep, 18-24" would be ideal. I've also found these https://nbcgroup.co.uk/products/trailer-rings/trailer-rings-series-u but suspect they may be more difficult to turn.

The other option with, as you suggest, outrigger casters is definitely another option ?