Do I Need a Kitchen Extractor?

I'm looking at my kitchen design and it includes a recirculating downdraught extractor, located to the rear of the hob, which itself is located in the island unit.

As we're planning an airtight, energy efficient home, we'll be having a MVHR system,  Am I correct to assume that the carbon filters in the very expensive down draught fan will remove the odours etc and the MVHR system will deal with the fresh air side of things.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

I'm left wondering what the extractor adds, other than huge cost (£1,150). Especially when we have a steam oven and a microwave emitting cooking vapours and these don't have any form of carbon filtration or air extract!

Pretty much...

We have a large (and expensive) Siemens recirculating filter which is there to process the smells, wick away cooking steam, provide task light over the hob and generally look good.

I put a MVHR extract about 1m in front of it (in addition to a general kitchen extract) which hopefully removes the stale damp air that leaves the recirculation unit.

Depending on the MVHR unit  / cooker hood, you can have the hood activate the boost setting on MVHR, although this can also be achieved through sensing current draw on the cooker hood supply and/or humidity sensor in the MVHR unit.

Cooker hood ventilation units are VAT free as they are considered part of your ventilation solution and not an appliance (even if they don't vent outside) - if your kitchen is a supply & fit job inc. appliances, best to get them to just zero rate it but should be OK to claim back also.

Question for you is how far away is the extractor exhaust from the ceiling (where the MVHR extract likely would be).

I have just installed a ceiling extractor above where my kitchen island will be.

Ceiling will be dropped above the island to zone the space a bit more in the large open plan room.

MVHR extract is about 1m away & top of ceiling drop has been left open on that side so recirculating hood will vent on that side.

I was unsure whether to have a hood as the ceiling hoods are so expensive, but decided to go ahead.

I bought an Innocenti hood from myappliances for £449.

I was not sure what it would be like as about £1000 less than most others.

I am really surprised & pleased with it.

Very sleek & really good quality.

Similar spec as far as extraction & noise to much more expensive ones.

Guest Alphonsox

We went for a Bora hob which integrates the extractor with the hob itself. The cleaned up air exits back into the room at plinth level to be dealt with by the ceiling vented MVHR. The whole arrangement works very well. For us it ended up being around the same cost as a separate hob and ceiling extractor but kept the sight lines clear across the kitchen - An important consideration for me as I now get a clear view of the rain falling on the tourists huddled on the beach.