Integrated Garage floor Level

ultramods

The builders are finishing our foundations today. 

I have asked them to put UFH and insulation in the garage floor as well, however still use just concrete rather than a screed. The builder has asked if I want the 2" fall in the garage floor to let water run out of the garage if there are cars parked in the garage.

I will be using the garage as a gym so would never have a car in the garage, however if we sell the new owners may use it for a car.

If I went with the 2" fall and at a later date converted the garage into a room would the UFH still be effective if the floor was then leveled (on top of the existing floor)?

What should I go for, a level floor or one with the 2" fall? 

1 minute ago, AliMcLeod said:

Aren't there regulations for garages with regards to stopping combustible materials entering the "living space" - either a step or slope? And shouldn't your builder be advising you of them?

There will be a step down into the garage. I have spoken to building standards and they have said we will be OK not having a 2" fall. Builder has recommended going with a level floor if we will never be using it as a garage.

6 minutes ago, ultramods said:

There will be a step down into the garage. I have spoken to building standards and they have said we will be OK not having a 2" fall. Builder has recommended going with a level floor if we will never be using it as a garage.

Ah, ok. If I wasn't going to use it as a garage, i'd keep it level. If/when you ever come to sell, i doubt the lack of the slope would be a deal breaker for anyone.

We bought a house where the double garage had been converted into 4 "cat-rooms" complete with (electric) UFH and cat-flaps punched through the exterior walls to caged cat pens.

Edited by AliMcLeod
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...