Expanding foam gun

Thedreamer

Hi,

1st batch of insulation now ordered.

I need to get some expanding foam for those difficult places and most sources seem to suggest that getting a gun is worth the extra money. Are these are all the same or can anybody recommend a particular model?

Thanks

36 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

Hi,

1st batch of insulation now ordered.

I need to get some expanding foam for those difficult places and most sources seem to suggest that getting a gun is worth the extra money. Are these are all the same or can anybody recommend a particular model?

Thanks

There are some exspensive ones 

But in my exsperience they are all prone to blocking I’m using one that cost eight quid and it does the  job

Trick is Tirb the gun off when not in use and leave the can attached 

I never clean the gun Just salespeople the can when empty 

• Like 1

I got one from Screwfix that has the bendy attachment. Attachment is long gone. The gun itself is great, still going strong after over a year. As nod said, leave can on the gun, if not in use for a while then spray a bit of foam every week or two just to make sure it's not seized up inside.

Clean end with wonder wipes every few mins minimum, if stubborn then get acetone or gun cleaner and spray on to wonder wipe and clean gun end with the wipe. I find the wipes to be strong and course to clean the gun quite well.

I use the flexible low expanding foam (blue) from Soudal.

I use an old serated small kitchen knife to trim the foam.

Edited by j_s
  • Like 1

I also have a screwfix gun - did jam up after a period of storage (with the foam on).

I was able to strip it down and clean with isopropyl alcohol and a bit of poking about with a paperclip / nail - if you're using PU foam you should invest in a litre bottle of this as it's the only thing I've found will clean wet and dry foam from hands, clothes and other surfaces. 

• Like 1