Plumbing help please

lizzie

14 hours ago, lizzie said:

@newhome I might have given it a go if I could physically get myself folded into the space it needs to go in but unfortunately I have a back problem thats means I cant. Its an absolute nightmare having to lie flat on the floor under mvhr every few days to fill trap with water. I have to slide in and out like a worm and be drugged up on painkillers to do it.

This is a condensate drain isn't it so can't the drain be filled from inside the unit by taking the cover off?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

This is a condensate drain isn't it so can't the drain be filled from inside the unit by taking the cover off?

I cant take cover off unit ....its large ......the wnole of the front....and probably heavy and only has those special rivet sort of screws that dont fit a screwdriver.... I would like to see inside to get an idea of what periodic sloshing noise is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lizzie said:

I cant take cover off unit ....its large ......the wnole of the front....and probably heavy and only has those special rivet sort of screws that dont fit a screwdriver.... I would like to see inside to get an idea of what periodic sloshing noise is.

If it's like mine the whole of the front comes off but it's not heavy. Mine is held on with hex bolts so it can be undone with an allen key or hex head on the screwdriver.

26 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

If it's like mine the whole of the front comes off but it's not heavy. Mine is held on with hex bolts so it can be undone with an allen key or hex head on the screwdriver.

There are 6 of these and when I tried a few months ago I couldnt find anything to fit them. Will have to get my toolbox out and try again

7FA4F771-B589-4235-94A6-6B842E46661C.jpeg

Those are Allen head screws, so you'll need an Allen key to undo and replace them.  You can either use a conventional "L" shaped set of Allen keys, or it would be better to buy a screwdriver with interchangeable bits, as often they will come with a small selection of Allen head bits.

This is what a cheap Allen key set looks like: https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-long-arm-ball-end-metric-hex-key-set-9pcs/8113v

and this is a cheap screwdriver set with interchangeable bits that includes Allen bits: https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-ratcheting-screwdriver-bit-set-46pcs/9131v

i've a couple of sets of these. actually got two different makes in that one is branded titan and the other unbranded. that and the cases are a different colour. cheap as and will get you out of most problems unless long reach into an appliance. i've had one at work for about 20 years and still going strong. only downside is they don't come with a universal handle. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-pc-BIT-SCREWDRIVER-SET-TORX-STAR-HEX-KEY-NODE-SECURITY-TAMPERPROOF-SCREW/263353589575?hash=item3d5118df47:g:UrIAAOSwYIxX-Mme:rk:11:pf:0

this one appears to be made specifically for the ladies :ph34r: and comes with a handle;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-PC-SCREWDRIVER-HEX-POZIDRIVE-TORX-SECURITY-BIT-SET/312162376806?hash=item48ae53dc66:g:lv8AAOSwj-BbI7H1:rk:38:pf:0

the big y shaped thing is for screwing / unscrewing cup hooks btw. buy it at that price.

- excuse lack of capitals, shift key not working on this lappy -

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

i've a couple of sets of these. actually got two different makes in that one is branded titan and the other unbranded. that and the cases are a different colour. cheap as and will get you out of most problems unless long reach into an appliance. i've had one at work for about 20 years and still going strong. only downside is they don't come with a universal handle. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-pc-BIT-SCREWDRIVER-SET-TORX-STAR-HEX-KEY-NODE-SECURITY-TAMPERPROOF-SCREW/263353589575?hash=item3d5118df47:g:UrIAAOSwYIxX-Mme:rk:11:pf:0

this one appears to be made specifically for the ladies :ph34r: and comes with a handle;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-PC-SCREWDRIVER-HEX-POZIDRIVE-TORX-SECURITY-BIT-SET/312162376806?hash=item48ae53dc66:g:lv8AAOSwj-BbI7H1:rk:38:pf:0

the big y shaped thing is for screwing / unscrewing cup hooks btw. buy it at that price.

- excuse lack of capitals, shift key not working on this lappy -

Love the pink box...mine is a pretty blue at mo.....and thank you for the link??

Great news I finally persuaded a plumber to come and fit the waterless trap (I rang 5 before i got one that turned up).  He has fitted it on the straigt run after the mvhr condensate junction so it catches both boiler and mvhr condensate as suggested here.  He said it should be ok but has left me the cut piece of pipe in case it doesnt work and so we can fit it back on with adaptors.

He was a lovely man, knows nothing about these type of houses but was fascinated, 5 minute job and an hour talking house......he refused to take any money for doing the job either.  

What a star and what a rare find. Thank you all for the help on it, another thing ticked off the list (installer still not materialised)

71486E74-16C7-4CD4-8214-E9B136602AB1.jpeg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, joe90 said:

There are good trades people out there, keep his number, he is worth knowing.?

What he will have gained from that is he will be your plumber of choice for anything else and you will recommend him to others.

• Like 2