Plumbing help please

lizzie

My MVHR/UFH installer has still not been back to sort out issues etc, months later.  One of the things he needs to sort out is the waste from MVHR which keeps drying out and pumping sewage smells around the house.

I am sick to death of getting on my hands and knees under this unit every few days and filling the trap with water.  I think it needs a water less trap.  Can anyone point me to the one I need to buy please...making a trip to Screwfix tomorrow so could pick one up there if they had them.  I have looked and can't work out what I need....will be fitting it myself too.

Pics of existing attached.

Thank you for any help advice you can give.

F27D9437-0AFF-420B-AC93-D673BC87CC7C.jpeg

621708D8-AEAF-44B4-A243-4E35729C5330.jpeg

4AC068A7-B4AF-4A9B-84AA-B57C3258D072.jpeg

30564239-D4B7-49CD-B479-EF6EAED2D04F.jpeg

Edited by lizzie

16 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

Screwfix sells the OSMA "self sealing" traps, They come in 40mm and 32mm so make sure you get the correct one for your needs.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/osma-waste-valve-white-x/3962k

https://www.screwfix.com/p/osma-waste-valve-white-x/1819k

They can be mounted either vertically or horizontally as your installation allows.

Thank you...I take it the 32/40 is the diameter of the pipe?

Looking at them they are just one straight piece of pipe, any idea how I get that to fit my uneven 'u'?

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Perhaps leave the wet trap, and just insert the waterless trap in the pipe leading out of it?  A lot less messing about, and the dried out "wet" trap will do no harm left like that.

ah...will investigate.  I'm not good if it means cutting pipe though.

Guest Alphonsox
1 minute ago, lizzie said:

Well thats cyboshed my plan to do it myself then!  Better look for a plumber. Thank you.

Just now, lizzie said:

ah...will investigate.  I'm not good if it means cutting pipe though.

This stuff is very forgiving and easy to cut. What's to the left in your photo ?  The best bet may be to fit the new trap where the horizontal pipe currently is.

Sorry for hi jacking your thread @lizzie but is there a way of plugging a shower drain to prevent smells when it dries out. There is one shower where I have to keep filling the damn thing up and given that shower isn’t used could I just put a plug in it? 

• Like 1

Guest Alphonsox
1 minute ago, newhome said:

Sorry for hi jacking your thread @lizzie but is there a way of plugging a shower drain to prevent smells when it dries out. There is one shower where I have to keep filling the damn thing up and given that shower isn’t used could I just put a plug in it? 

Cling Film ?

3 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

This stuff is very forgiving and easy to cut. What's to the left in your photo ?  The best bet may be to fit the new trap where the horizontal pipe currently is.

Have nothing to cut with...maybe I need to buy a hacksaw or something.  Im worried about messing the whole thing up!

1 hour ago, lizzie said:

My MVHR/UFH installer has still not been back to sort out issues etc, months later.  One of the things he needs to sort out is the waste from MVHR which keeps drying out and pumping sewage smells around the house.

My MVHR pipe just discharges outside onto the ground although I've never actually seen any water coming out.

Perhaps you could do likewise so no trap needed.

Guest Alphonsox
1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Is it just me or is that a well and truly bodges setup with one pipe sleeved inside another?

I was just thinking the same - very strange setup

Guest Alphonsox

Your other (non-plumbing) option is to remove the U-bend and put a bucket under the vertical downpipe. Seal off the horizontal section with a plastic bag or similar.

Empty the bucket every week or so. (This is the mechanism we're currently using due to me buying the wrong size OSMA - I will get round to fixing it properly in a year or so).

2 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

Your other (non-plumbing) option is to remove the U-bend and put a bucket under the vertical downpipe. Seal off the horizontal section with a plastic bag or similar.

Empty the bucket every week or so. (This is the mechanism we're currently using due to me buying the wrong size OSMA - I will get round to fixing it properly in a year or so).

now that I think I could do!

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Is it just me or is that a well and truly bodged setup with one pipe sleeved inside another?

No wonder he does not want to come back.

its all very loose and rickety and the constant taking off of the u bit isnt helping.  This was mvhr installer who did this not bodger plumber of under sink waste fame!

2 minutes ago, lizzie said:

its all very loose and rickety and the constant taking off of the u bit isnt helping.  This was mvhr installer who did this not bodger plumber of under sink waste fame!

So the sleeved pipe is not even stuck / sealed with solvent weld?

As suggested, take the trap off, put a bucket under and seal the end of that horizontal pipe initially with cling film and tape but as a permanent fix with a stop end.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

So the sleeved pipe is not even stuck / sealed with solvent weld?

As suggested, take the trap off, put a bucket under and seal the end of that horizontal pipe initially with cling film and tape but as a permanent fix with a stop end.

Not sealed with anything just one pipe inside another and all very loose, it worries me every time I have to unscrew the u bit I expect the whole thing to fall apart. Thank you

Looks like 40 solvent weld but that sleeve is just a mess ..! Couldn’t be bothered to buy a 40mm universal compression fitting ..!!!?? 

As you are finding out, MVHR doesn’t produce a lot of moisture - I’m surprised the outlet is so large as it’s normally 22.5mm overflow pipe. What’s above the shelf and what sort of unit is it ..? 

19 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Looks like 40 solvent weld but that sleeve is just a mess ..! Couldn’t be bothered to buy a 40mm universal compression fitting ..!!!?? 

As you are finding out, MVHR doesn’t produce a lot of moisture - I’m surprised the outlet is so large as it’s normally 22.5mm overflow pipe. What’s above the shelf and what sort of unit is it ..? 

There is no shelf that is the underside of mvhr unit. I have to lie on floor to get underneath to get at pipe and I find it really difficult to do especially in confined space.

I have Profi air 250 frankische unit

6E00EE8C-5BBE-4E83-AB96-5E4B89EF5B58.jpeg

70E595F6-753F-432C-849A-C04760834BAA.jpeg