Front Door Inspiration

18 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Lol, can't complain for £10. Love the big picture syle window on the right, we will have very similar. 

What is the wood style cladding on the bottom? 

I am sure I replied in your Accoya cladding post, Trespa Pura.

This is ours from Nordan (letterbox now changed) we also considered a cedar door to co-ordinate with various areas of cladding but we were concerned they wouldn’t weather the same.

just keep looking, u will see something and have a ureka moment! 

AF189380-47DD-48FD-BAF4-FA80E4151040.jpeg

We couldn't find what we wanted in both looks & thermal properties without spending an eye-watering amount of money.

In the end we opted for a plain triple glazed door to match the sidelights & glazing above it.

Works well for us as lets a lot more light into the hallway.

Our front entrance is behind 6ft gates, so not visible from the lane outside.

DSC01558.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

In the end we opted for a plain triple glazed door to match the sidelights & glazing above it.

We did that for our side door, with frosted internal pane so you can't see in. Works well to get light in.

Our front door is the same structure, but instead of glass, it has a panel made of rigid insulation laminated between oak-faced plywood (inside) and painted plywood (outside). It's massive but relatively light due to the construction method. I doubt it's as secure as solid wood, but if people are desperate enough to get in, I doubt this will be their point of entry.

1 hour ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

We couldn't find what we wanted in both looks & thermal properties without spending an eye-watering amount of money.

DSC01558.JPG

@Moira Niedzwiecka house is looking great, well done.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Triple07 said:

This is ours from Nordan (letterbox now changed) we also considered a cedar door to co-ordinate with various areas of cladding but we were concerned they wouldn’t weather the same.

just keep looking, u will see something and have a ureka moment! 

AF189380-47DD-48FD-BAF4-FA80E4151040.jpeg

Out of interest what colour is the door?

Thank you everyone and especially for the pictures great to see some amazing designs. We have a unique house name based on the bridges our house is next to and we designed a very rough sketch based on the house name which will be etched into the wooden doors in a bridge style design, hard to explain. It will be a double door, no glazing and we have approached a couple of local carpenters and have a rough estimate of around £1750 for the double door (will meet building regs) and we will supply handle and locks. It will at least reflect the area and will be a bit unique. 

Thats one worry, now just to decide on windows. 

On 19/11/2018 at 13:36, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

DSC01558.JPG

Random question but the 'poles' what are they made of? We currently have naff brick pillars and I hate them but this part will be retained and I'm looking for ways of trying to make it look nicer.... 

On 19/11/2018 at 17:00, PeterStarck said:

Out of interest what colour is the door?

It’s RAL 7032 pebble grey but it’s a green/beige/grey... our kitchen burford grey  kitchen from Howdens is exact same colour...I’d like to say it was intentional but it was fluke! 

• Thanks 1

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 22:12, canalsiderenovation said:

Random question but the 'poles' what are they made of? We currently have naff brick pillars and I hate them but this part will be retained and I'm looking for ways of trying to make it look nicer.... 

They are powder coated steel posts in Antracite 7016 to match the windows & guttering.

The timber frame company supplied glulam posts with galvanised shoes but we thought they were too chunky.

The structural engineer calculated what gauge steel we needed to support the overhang & I had them made.

Can't wait to get the landscaping for the entrance done & remove the bubble wrap.