Angle grinder jig

Pocster

Hey

Is there just a thing ?

Tried to make one - wasn’t too good ?

I’m looking for something that allows a perfectly straight cut - not easy when cutting a paver with a full sized angle grinder . Thought there might be a ‘guide’ like you get with a circular saw - but it appears not ...

Edited by pocster

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Evolution Rage 3 with diamond blade?

I have the saw and diamond blade and can confirm it works as per the video.

I've made up wooden guides to go over blocks before to get a straight line. 

Top tool !

whenbit says dust extraction what is stuck at the end of that tube ? Just a Henry ?? ?

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Top tool !

whenbit says dust extraction what is stuck at the end of that tube ? Just a Henry ?? ?

Try it. I've had my wall chasers hooked up to a 2000W woodworking dust extractor and managed near dustless chasing inside the furnished house. 

SWMBO didn't seem to think so though! :)

I reckon it was just the bits by the ceiling made the dust when I had to sds chisel them out where the chaser won't go up to.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, pocster said:

@Onoff what’s the largest say paving slab you could get in there ? . I know you should use a wet cutter but just wondering...

Dunno, 300x75 I'm reading one web spec 220x60 on another.

I've got the Rage 3 btw not the Rage 3 +.

• Thanks 1

Looks like a good way to ruin a mitre saw...... when I am not using my big F>O masonry saw with diamond blade and running water I would:

- use a large angle grinder with a good diamond blade, I set up a leaf blower to blow the dust away (just sticky  tape the reeves on mid blow) hold the blower down between some bricks. 

start by marking your cut with a coloured pencil / crayon as it sticks better than just normal pencil, then run your angle grinder among the line to mark it only. Don’t try to do the full depth just 5mm or so. You will then have a permanent line that’s easy to follow. The blower keeps things clean and helps cool the blade. You still need a dust mask and goggles  for standard safety . Done hundreds of such cuts and you soon become proficient. 

39 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Looks like a good way to ruin a mitre saw...... when I am not using my big F>O masonry saw with diamond blade and running water I would:

- use a large angle grinder with a good diamond blade, I set up a leaf blower to blow the dust away (just sticky  tape the reeves on mid blow) hold the blower down between some bricks. 

start by marking your cut with a coloured pencil / crayon as it sticks better than just normal pencil, then run your angle grinder among the line to mark it only. Don’t try to do the full depth just 5mm or so. You will then have a permanent line that’s easy to follow. The blower keeps things clean and helps cool the blade. You still need a dust mask and goggles  for standard safety . Done hundreds of such cuts and you soon become proficient. 

Lol - dont think I’ll become proficient- that’s the issue ...

The rage saw can cut anything with the correct blade - so am still tempted . A chop/slide saw that does more than wood.

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Lol - dont think I’ll become proficient- that’s the issue ...

The rage saw can cut anything with the correct blade - so am still tempted . A chop/slide saw that does more than wood.

They do indeed cut everything but not as well imo as a dedicated saw for whatever that material is. Don't forget that once you have that diamond blade on you won't be able to cut wood or steel anymore without changing the blade.

Seem to recall reading somewhere you shouldn't use the slide action if cutting metal. Seemingly, for tiles etc you can though, and I have.

I do wonder how long, with the abrasive "stone" dust generated, the unit will last even with good dust extraction.

Your best getting a second hand mounted wet saw. The dust this work creates will ruin anything that’s not specifically designed for the job. Yes they say they will do it but for how long. Use a good second hand one and sell it when your done. It’s dirty, nasty work. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Your best getting a second hand mounted wet saw. The dust this work creates will ruin anything that’s not specifically designed for the job. Yes they say they will do it but for how long. Use a good second hand one and sell it when your done. It’s dirty, nasty work. 

Sure thing 

But can you point me to a new one so I know that type of thing to look for on scambay ?

13 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Wet cutters of course create quite a bit of dirty, dust laden run off. Can block drains etc. Bit of scruffy garden to ditch it onto is what I do. Wife will forever by digging up tile spacers here! :)

You can dump your crap on my garden - looks like a tip anyway 

Edited by pocster