What do home buyers want?

2 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

What does everyone think about space-heating and DHW systems?

• There is mains gas so a gas boiler seems an obvious choice
  • UFH or radiators? It will be a concrete-raft foundation, so putting in UFH would not be a huge extra cost but is it worth it even so?
  • SumAmp? Given its a small build, would the small size of a SunAmp compensate for its extra cost compared to a normal big hot-water cylinder? Would a buyer miss a normal cylinder or be put-off by SunAmp novelty?

Our neighbours new bungalow has been with the current estate agents for around a month and has now sold subject to contract. There has been a lot of interest in it and we have spoken to some of the prospective buyers. They have not been put off by the ASHP and UFH and have liked it's position with good views and the outside appearance of the building.

5 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

Ideas please. 

If building with one eye on the market, what do home buyers seek in terms of layout and design? Where to spend money to the best effect? And where not to? What would a professional small-scale developer focus on?

This is for a top-end but small (130m²) 2 or 3 bed house in the centre of a small city outside London.

Here are my guesses…

• Buyers like…
    • a trendy kitchen & bathroom
    • curb appeal
  • Buyers ignore energy efficiency, ASHPs, MVHR

What about…

• Kitchen: separate vs open plan?
  • shower only or bath too?
  • style of internal decoration? Floor coverings?
  • home automation?

Anything else?

We’ve used all German on our kitchen and bathrooms

Talking to an estate agent friend

He said when you reach a certain level buyers exspect this and will rip out a perfectly good kitchen or bathroom because it is run of the mill Crazy

in saying that we have Armatige shanks at home and a bq kitchen They look absolutely fine 

I  did not have German kitchen...thought I would (liked Siematic) but when it came to it I wanted more of a design edge than the Germans could offer so have Italian, always knew I would have Spanish (Porcelanosa) tiles and sanitary ware, had before so knew what I wanted.  I have had Villeroy & Boch bathrooms too and they are nice (german).