Waste drain location

Moonshine

I am looking to put a house and garden on a part of my plot where the existing drain is.

Ideally I don't want to move the drain too much and I think there is space for it to go down the side of the new house.

The question is how much space from the house is needed to fit a drain pipe to allow future access if the is any issues? 

Could it be housed in concrete culvert to minimise access issues in the future? How deep does it need to be?

The other thing is there any issues of having your drain on someone else's land?

36 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Drain or sewer ..?? There is a big difference as you own the former, and if anyone is upstream you do not own the latter and need a lot of permissions. 

I would say its a drain as its all on my land at the moment and i am the only one served on that run, if have a look at the blue line in the attached (NTS), at the plot boundary at the road it connects to a communal sewer.

The black vertical line in the middle is the proposed plot boundary, so if that land / house was sold they would own the drain that serves my house, i don't know about the legal implications of this. I could take the drain to the right of the black vertical line but this would involve more digging, a new waste connection and cost.

drain layout.jpg

33 minutes ago, PeterW said:

So the drain in the new house plot becomes an adoptable sewer so you have to meet all the requirements of the sewerage company ....

Thanks, that sounds a mind-field and i might look at diverting the existing drain down the side of my house to the front and a new sewer connection, this would mean i would have no issues with the new house/drain interaction, requirements of the sewerage company, legal knock-ons. The down side is more work and cost with that work and new sewer connection.

Actually come to think of it there is another way, that means that i don't have to have the cost of a new sewer connection and the new house/drain interaction issue and build at the orange, with the adoptable sewer built to the requirements of the sewerage company. 

drain layout.jpg

Edited by mike m