ICF Window fitting

Big Neil

I don't get window installation. Was trying to find a video on YouTube last night that would show me what I wanted but couldn't.

So when you have an ICF house, lets say 100mm insulation inside and out, and you want stone cills on the outside, I just can't picture the buildup. What goes where to fill that hulking gap in the wall? Can anyone help with maybe a cross sectional sketch/diagram?

6 hours ago, Big Neil said:

I don't get window installation. [...]

Me neither, and I've just had mine put in. Thats the clue.....

Get the window designer to give you a cross sectional drawing. Here's a relevant google search

Or copy and paste these terms into  your preferred search engine

window installation cills sectional drawing

• 1 month later...

Depends if the window is sitting on the outside or the inside of the icf.

Our current icf house - we have the window frame sort of straddling the concrete and external polystyrene rather than the internal- you can just see the small reveal of white render on the outside in the photo.  We opted for this way as our internal space is limited - downside is the windows get grubby quickly but it seems easier to have a wider internal cil than trying to match the gap to a stone cil with I don't know maybe more stone???

Our new house we also have a brick facade on the outside of the icf so the gap will be almost castle proportions thick and we have not worked that bit out yet..... ?

IMG_1730.JPG

On 19/10/2018 at 18:31, Russell griffiths said:

What hulking great gap are you talking about, who’s icf have you used. @Big Neil

I was trying to express the hole in the wall for the window itself, and at what point across it's width, the window should be placed.

On 21/11/2018 at 14:35, craig said:

Does this help?

INdeed it does - thankyou

On 21/11/2018 at 13:18, evelar said:

Our current icf house - we have the window frame sort of straddling the concrete and external polystyrene rather than the internal- you can just see the small reveal of white render on the outside in the photo.  We opted for this way as our internal space is limited - downside is the windows get grubby quickly but it seems easier to have a wider internal cil than trying to match the gap to a stone cil with I don't know maybe more stone???

So essentially the only factor which changes is how much ledge you have either inside or outside of the window itself?

• 1 month later...

Sorry - I disappeared for a while!  Yes window frame has to sit on the concrete rather than the polystyrene obviously so up to you where the frame sits within that concrete span.  Our architect advised having the windows sit inside and have a big reveal on the outside but we disagreed and sat them towards the outside to maximise internal space.  

• 5 years later...

Wondering if anyone's got a step by step guide to fitting limestone window cills into an Amvic ICF wall? 

Cills are 220mm in width, so with a 50mm overhang it sits on 70mm of the concrete core. Will they sag under their own weight and lean forward onto the outer leaf? Also, do I need to set the cills in Mortar?

Total newbie trying to fit cills here!