Cheap but good looking vanity worktop

So my plumber is in the middle of 2nd fix.  I ordered a Roca vanity unit for the downstairs cloak but didn't get the matching sink as I wanted a sit on bowl.  In my ignorance I didn't realise that the top was precut and the hole is too big for the sit on bowl.  My plumber has suggested that I get a piece of quartz to go on top, which I thought wouldn't be too much as it would probably be an offcut.  But with the cost of machining etc it will be £200?.  Looks like I will have to go with laminate unless anyone has any other ideas ?

Is it worth looking around for Corian offcuts?  Corian can be cut with a router or circular saw without any real problems, and is one step up from laminate, I think.  Not sure I'd use it in a kitchen, as experience with it in an office kitchen environment was that it stains badly, but it should be fine in a  cloakroom (does anyone still wear cloaks, I wonder, let alone leave them in a cloakroom?).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, it is way, way, overpriced for what it is, but it definitely does stain, really badly when it's not cleaned as soon as something like tea or coffee gets spilled on it.  As a part of my last job, we upgraded all the work surfaces in a 900 person new office/lab building from laminate to Corian.  To say we were disappointed with it in the refreshment areas is an understatement.  It was fine in the toilets, but within a few months the Corian in the refreshment areas was badly stained from tea and coffee spills that hadn't been cleaned up quickly.

Unlike stone, Corian can be cut with a router or circular saw pretty easily, due to its relatively high (around 35%) plastic resin content. The mineral powder filling is also pretty soft.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, newhome said:

What is the top made of just now? What is the unit made of?

It is just laminate like the rest of the unit but it is purple in colour.  In my defence everything else in the house is neutral, just wanted a bit of colour!

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

Unlike stone, Corian can be cut with a router or circular saw pretty easily, due to its relatively high (around 35%) plastic resin content. The mineral powder filling is also pretty soft.

Thanks for the advice, just found this on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mistral-solid-surface-worktop-offcut/173554122450?hash=item2868a1bed2:g:4pUAAOSwN6Ba8zuH:rk:3:pf:0 which would work, and not too far away either

8 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

If you end up with normal worktop I would suggest looking at the kind of wood type finish used by @zoothorn in his kitchen recently.

Think it was cheap etc.

Do you have any Multipanel offcuts? They would do it, depending on finished edges required etc.

Ferdinand

Could you multipanel over a strong carcass and maybe use chrome quadrant edging?

• Like 1

Multipanel do a really nice U Trim in different finishes that would work to cap any edge and seal it to make it water tight. Where you cut through for the waste, it needs to be well covered in silicone ..!

I do prefer that Corian on the link though ... 

• Like 1

If that is £200 including machining for a quartz worktop that is very reasonable indeed.

If it is a well used bathroom a wooden or laminate worktop will be destroyed by the water over time and need replacing way before any part of the bathroom. This will be a false economy if you end up having to replace more items because the least durable item has given out. In our last house I ended up replacing our ensuite to sell it as the cheap laminate units installed by the builder were destroyed but they were tiled in to there was no way to replace them without retiling etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lizzie said:

If your unit is purple what about a funky metallic top...either metal or glass.  

I did think of that idea but it would be difficult to cut out the hole for the waste.

• Like 1