Getting the benefit of 'standard size' windows

Tony K

On a few occasions now I have heard that a self builder saved money by using ‘standard size’ windows. I am aware that there isn’t really such a thing as a standard size, and presume this to simply mean that the builder created openings in their new homes to fit windows which they had already bought off the shelf, as opposed to creating openings and then getting made-to-measure windows installed.

I can see how this might save money, and it could work on my self build. I do wonder though where one goes to get good quality ‘standard size’ windows, especially ones with very good u-values etc.

Has anyone been down this road, and did it actually work out noticeably cheaper than getting windows supplied to fit?

Thanks, as always. 

What is a standard size window. 900*900??

Would you not be better getting Windows that suit the size of the room they are in.  In the  grand scheme of things how much would you  potentially save?? 

Think for an extension where you might need 1-2 windows and you could pick them up from gumtree, ebay etc then fine. 

This is the sort of thing I mean:

https://www.diy.com/departments/white-pvcu-vertical-sliding-sash-window-window-h-1190mm-w-890mm/1813417_BQ.prd

You can't get in in the store, but they say they deliver in 21 days so I presume that they are not being built from scratch and are in fact stored somewhere.

The windows in my self build are to be very much normal shape and size, so I would not be compromising in any way if I got 'off the shelf' ones.

Just wondered if anyone else has done any cost / benefit comparisons with getting fitted windows made?

Couple of things, that b and q window will be utter crap,go and have a look. 

As for standard sizeing i completly get where get where you are coming from, backwards Britain strikes again

our last house we built in Australia, I went to see a window company and was handed a brochure, many styles to choose from size wise hundreds to choose from as long as you stuck to the set metric sizes. 

Width. 

height. 

can you see where this is going, brilliantly simple, the brochure had all the rough openings in it to show your frame builder

and when your house is finished you go and buy blinds, 

well bugger me, they are available to fit the same metric sizes so you go and buy off the peg blinds

no dork coming around to measure up for your bespoke £10,000 blinds

as i said backwards Britain something so obvious, 

pay you deposit and 3 weeks later your windows arrive 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tony K said:

On a few occasions now I have heard that a self builder saved money by using ‘standard size’ windows. I am aware that there isn’t really such a thing as a standard size, and presume this to simply mean that the builder created openings in their new homes to fit windows which they had already bought off the shelf, as opposed to creating openings and then getting made-to-measure windows installed.

I can see how this might save money, and it could work on my self build. I do wonder though where one goes to get good quality ‘standard size’ windows, especially ones with very good u-values etc.

Has anyone been down this road, and did it actually work out noticeably cheaper than getting windows supplied to fit?

Thanks, as always. 

I think that Standard Size savings are more likely on doors or perhaps high end 3G, or products used by big players in the larger project market eg housing associations, rather than self-build. Might it be worth talking to someone in that market say Eurocell rather than the likes of Rationel etc.

Another option used by a couple on here have been dark coloured upvc and/or the 2G units that are now able to get to around 1.0 as a u-value.

For uPVC I think that the processes are now so tuned for volume that there may not be too much fat left to cut. The last house I did ... put te full quote on the forum somewhere ... came in at about £170 per sqm for 2G with 2 doors and a set of French windows in the quote. I think the custom turnaround was only slightly over a month.

The variations just on quotes are at least half or double, so there is much to be gained by sweating it.

Two threads very worth reading, including an amazing chart by @Visti comparing umpteen quotes for the same job.

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/6509-how-much-of-a-difference-does-3g-make-over-2g/

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/1639-cost-for-good-quality-triple-glazing/

Ferdinand

Thanks @Ferdinand

As most have said, UK doesn't really have standard sizes. Cost will mostly come down to who you chose to supply. That chart helped us pick our preferred supplier based on the best cost Vs quality standpoint. There were obviously other factors but the balance between the two swung most of the decision.

My two additional tips would be to stick to simple right angle shapes and to negotiate.

Anything curved or fancy is going to be a fair bit pricier, so we went for simple rectangles and squares. Also simplify the opening method or leave them closed to keep cost down.

As for negotiating... You don't get far without some research and a bit of haggling. It may be uncomfortable, but I always take the view that it is better for their sales to respect you than take you for full price :)