Practical Help, Please : Simpson Strong Ties

ToughButterCup

I've done my best not to bother  you all with this question, but.....

I'm not far off fitting my wall plate - and thus my joists for the little (steeply sloping) flat roof. Joists and wall plate on site, just waiting for the concrete to dry a bit. And of course, its DIY

The nice folks from Cheshire Roof Trusses sent me the necessary ironmongery. Here it is.

20181018_142809.thumb.jpg.54f0689c4c78535918c5e3dbd11b5449.jpg

This sooooo embarrassing ......... Which way up do I use the Simpson Strong Tie? ?

Should the stamped ridge face outwards (away from the wall plate towards the joist) like this?

20181018_145309.thumb.jpg.8c803f5ca23a7f03957c95cb8a400cc7.jpg

A simpler way of asking the question might be either :

• What does the top chord of the  joist sit on: the square tabs or the rounded ones?
  • Or conversely, do the rounded tabs sit on the  top of the wall plate or the square tabs? 

I think I know how to use the corner plates.

It's hard work this DIY lark........

I agree with Mr Punter, these are for noggins and to use them for I-beam joists would be a bad idea. The square tabs go under the flange of the I-beam but I-beams aren't designed to take much force as point loads on the flange, particularly not pulling them away from the web.

I've got a lot of I-beams in my house but the only ones supported anything like this will be the trimmers for the windows for which the SE specified Simpson Strong-Tie  ITB hangers.

Edited by Ed Davies