gas and electricity prices/suppliers

I am now finally ready to escape the B Gas standard tariff.  I went with them when we got the services in because it was easier, never thought it would take this long to sort out the billing!

Ive been looking around at various providers...anyone used Bulb?  Any recommendations for any providers please.  I have no PV all mains gas and electricity.

We've been with Bulb since July. No problems so far. From what I remember they've only got one tariff and it's variable, and we're soon to get a price increase.

If you like the look of them I think I have a cashback link which would get you more than switching by a comparison web site. This would also get me something, though!

• Like 1

I am with Utility Point since June and very happy.

However, I have just received a weekly update from Money Saving Expert (MSE) strongly recommending the latest BG 1Year FIXED Tariff.  Check their website online

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HerbJ said:

However, I have just received a weekly update from Money Saving Expert (MSE) strongly recommending the latest BG 1Year FIXED Tariff.  Check their website online

Note, however (my bolding):

Tariff info: To get this tariff you'll need to arrange to have smart meters (one for gas, one for elec) installed within three months of switching. These send automatic meter readings, so you should get exact bills and pay only for what you use. If you can't get smart meters, you can still keep the tariff - you'll just need to give manual meter readings when asked.

Edited by AliMcLeod
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DavidFrancis said:

I've just switched to the British Gas deal (referred to above) as it includes "free" boiler cover and our boiler is now 16 years old and has not been particularly reliable.  Don't know if Bulb will still do the cashback for me!?

Thanks Ive just been looking at that.....my boiler is a few months old and under guarantee so not much benefit in that deal for me. Sounds very worthwhile for you.  My sister has just told me she has a current bulb link for a £50 cashback, bulb rates dont seem that competitive though..

16 hours ago, DavidFrancis said:

I've just switched to the British Gas deal (referred to above) as it includes "free" boiler cover and our boiler is now 16 years old and has not been particularly reliable.  Don't know if Bulb will still do the cashback for me!?

Did you check whether you're not just paying for the boiler cover under a different guise? The new BG deal is around £240 more per year than the deal I'm currently on - although that's not fixed, it did just go up in price at the start of this month (PurePlanet).

I can get BG's boiler plan, with much better cover (boiler, rads, plumbing, drains, electrics) and a lower excess for more a little over £200 a year, and the basic one that i guess matches the "free" one (boiler only) for £130.

Edited by AliMcLeod

@AliMcLeodwhen I switched to Bulb they were the cheapest decently-rated supplier that MSE listed. But Bulb were going to increase our direct debit by 20-odd quid (a month) in November so I checked-out MSE again and I think the BG deal was the second cheapest of those suppliers that had a customer service rating, so the boiler cover is more-or-less free.

I had a big problem with BG about 10 years ago and I've seen horror stories since, so I know I'm taking a bit of a gamble.