Barge Boards and Sofits

Triassic

It's time to start thinking about bargeboards and soffits for the new build. I've looked at charcol plastic, which looks fine against our grey slate roof.

I'm after something I can fit and forget, I don't want to go up a double extension ladder painting bargeboards! I was wondering if there are alternatives I should be looking at? As ever price is a consideration, I could also do with suggestions about suppliers, as there is a limited choice locally, its either Eurocel or the builders merchants!

We opted for black uPVC, which went a bit against my view that we shouldn't use plastics, but the desire for minimal maintenance won out.  I think the combination of dark slate, black  aluminium dry verge and the black uPVC looks OK.  We used the thick structural uPVC facias and barge boards, with tongue and grooved uPVC soffits.

57506befa3bad_Solarpanels.thumb.JPG.c3d6834a7e76137d766abfdf646e8f47.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Triassic said:

I was wondering if there are alternatives I should be looking at?

Top of my my requirements would be plastic that does not creek, squeak and groan every time the sun hides or pops out on a summers day with partial cloud. This was irritating on my previous house with white plastic, black will be worse.

A few months ago someone here mentioned this issue and a particular brand of plastic not prone to the noise problem.

Pretty much all plastics have a much higher coefficient of linear thermal expansion than metals, typically around 6 to 9 times higher, so any plastic fascia, gutter or whatever will expand a lot more as it warms up than a metal one.  There's no significant difference between any of the different uPVC formulations.  The way to stop creaks and noises from this expansion and contraction is to fit the uPVC to allow for thermal movement, so that it then doesn't make a noise as it changes temperature.  Problems arise when people butt the uPVC planks tight against each other when fitting them in cool weather, without allowing the required expansion gap at joints (covered by the joining plates, which must not be bonded to both uPVC planks).

We have no barge boards.  I just  overhung the tile sitting on a strip of asbestolux  and then plastered up to it.  No soffit either, mine is made from concrete roof blocks so have no maintaining to be done. 

Have black upvc gutters and downspouts and they crack.  Today with it going below zero last night and then the sun hitting them straight away they crack real bad. 

We used two suppliers but kytun was better as the metal was thicker and there was a slight difference in RAL7016 from both suppliers. I designed a profile that hide all nail heads. The corners where very tricky as we folded them on site. 

Tbh we where making it up as we went along and made a few mistakes Inc our woodwork not being perfectly straight.