Core drill

Pocster

Looking at d21570k dewalt 

Assume this is clutched ; so I don’t break my wrist ?

I know I could hire but I am bound to use it more than I think - so can sell on afterwards .

This a good drill for core drilling concrete ( vents / pipes - so 100mm + )

Also any recommendations for the actual diamond core bits ? . Don’t want top of the range ; just reasonably priced .

cheers 

I wouldn’t use that with a 115mm core as it will probably mince its own gearbox and it’s not worth the hassle. 

There is a reasonable Marcrist core set in Screwfix at a reasonable price. It would save you the cost of the hire/wear on the bits although unless you’re doing lots and lots of cores, you will barely mark a hired core (assuming you can get one with an SDS chuck)

If you are planning on coring through reinforced concrete then I would seriously consider hiring a framed core drill as it will be the rebar that snags the core and not the concrete. A frame will take the snatch load and stop it hitting you in the face or worse - likewise, never try and core drill from a set of steps as it will throw you off. 

As a comparison, I’ve cored 4 x 115mm, 4 x 48mm and a couple of 65mm cores through heavy block and reclaimed engineering bricks and did the lot in less than a day with a hired unit. Cost me about £40 inc the core drills. To buy a decent unit and cores you are north of £350 so are you really saying you need one for more than 5 days as you’ll only get 50% back for it. 

Can't give you a exact answer on dewalt  but its probably be fine. We have a Makita 8406 and done hundreds of boiler flue holes over the years. The makita looks very similar spec but 3 times the price. Could always buy it from a shop with a good return policy? 

I have seen a lot of ex hire core drills on bidspotter recently going for peanuts.

Just checked bidspotter and seems to be none left.

Only time we use a jig set up is for granite and it's more for the wet cut.  

Check what size of cores you need before buying a kit, we have a box with 6 or 7 sizes and tend to use the same 2.

I have bought v cheap and mid priced "branded" dry core bits and to be honest they are all the same. 

Edited by Alexphd1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, pocster said:

Thanks 

No reinforced concrete to go through .

Problem is I’m bound to forget / need to relocate a previous hole ( accept my planning limitations ? )

That dewalt really no good ??

I wouldn’t bother with the Dewalt

Most hire shops use the makita 

Compact But bullet proof 

The framed type are usually Hillti or Milwaukee 

• Thanks 1

I used a petrol core drill for years, drilled  uncountable 25mm  and 60mm holes and hundreds of 110mm holes into bedrock it looked a bit like this but was red.... eventually it chewed up the main drive cog /  Shaft  and I am yet to find a replacement. It was brutal as it had no clutch, but you just hugged it a tight as fek and got on with it....... 

C86365A7-47A5-485E-877E-E3E8E9191671.jpeg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cpd said:

I used a petrol core drill for years, drilled  uncountable 25mm  and 60mm holes and hundreds of 110mm holes into bedrock it looked a bit like this but was red.... eventually it chewed up the main drive cog /  Shaft  and I am yet to find a replacement. It was brutal as it had no clutch, but you just hugged it a tight as fek and got on with it....... 

C86365A7-47A5-485E-877E-E3E8E9191671.jpeg

I could just see the housewife/house husbands face when I start that bad boy up in the middle of their 50k kitchen to core out a small waste hole?? that is some piece of kit!

Edited by Alexphd1
  • Haha 1