Minimum depth for a decent office desk.

In the past I have treated myself to a generous office desk at home because I wiggle a mouse for a living.

As we prepare to move into the static caravan onsite and Swmbo has agree to sacrifice the dining area so I can have an office which leads to my question about minimum desktop depth. I have a large flat screen but since buying a Microsoft surface slate there is no CPU box to accommodate.

IT enthusiasts on YouTube favour resting a simple Ikea kitchen top on trestles and these come in 60cm to 80cm depths. My current favourite is 140cm x 74cm.

Does anyone here work at a desk for hours and find a 70cm depth acceptable?

My desk is curved and at the centre of the curve it’s 50cm deep - edges are 35cm and it’s barely 65x95 in total dimensions. It’s fine for working at a PC and mouse. 

The issue  you may find is the size of chair - small chairs are not comfortable and if you are sitting for a long period then you may need to consider this. 

If eye-to-screen distance is the primary concern, you could always attach a cheap monitor arm to the desktop. You can then push it further way when using it (assuming it isn't against a wall), and swing it back in when you need the space behind it.

My desktop is 65cm deep, and I have my monitor perched as close to the edge as I (safely) can. I find that perfectly fine.

Thanks all. Summing up...

70cm to 75cm should be a comfortable depth for a modern flat screen computer desk.

Yup I agree that chairs are just as important and I prefer the slightly pitched forward typing posture as promoted by "task" chairs in contrast to the teenager semi reclined gaming chair.

In 30 years of intensive computer usage I have only experienced RSI type problems when chair height was wrong or the screen was too low. I don't get on with keyboard shelves and need my forearms resting on the desk.

More recently I developed a shoulder problem when typing which I realized related to a poor typing style with one hand doing 70% of the work. My new keyboard with a split down the middle enforces a better typing style though it took 3 months before I fully adjusted from a 30 year bad habit.

https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/keyboards/sculpt-ergonomic-desktop/l5v-00001

On 15/10/2018 at 09:41, jack said:

If eye-to-screen distance is the primary concern, you could always attach a cheap monitor arm to the desktop. You can then push it further way when using it (assuming it isn't against a wall), and swing it back in when you need the space behind it.

Good point eye to screen is important for me and I have screen glasses tuned to a specific distance which is actually too close for my 30" screen. The next screen will be smaller because characters on the left and right of the present 30" screen are seen with a coloured fringe due to the refraction angle through my glasses.