Composite Decking Materials

vk2003

Following in from Christine's post regarding getting composite decking delivered, has anyone got any recommendations on composite decking? My landscaper is suggesting Millboard which he has worked with before. This looks lovely, but is quite expensive; the composite boards sold by Wickes etc in contrast don't appear up to scratch.... Are there any other brands I should be investigating? I noted that Bitpipe was happy with the ResortDeck product and I am looking into this also.

TIA

Vishal

I have had umpteen samples and the TekTimber was the one I liked best and the price was reasonable compared with some, more expensive than some but you could see the difference, they have now offered a cheaper delivery however we’re thinking we might need to wait until spring before we do it because the ground is like a quagmire after all the rain of the last couple of weeks and we won’t be able to do any landscaping at all, the drive will need to be hardcore for a while!

We've just chosen Dino Decking (silly name) for our next project, although we're using it for cladding a set of gates. 

Most of them offer a free sample service - an evening of googling and form filling pretty much hits all the suppliers.

Thank you both. The research I have done has made me shy away from planks with hollow profiles, as there seems to be a higher risk of warping (according to our Antipodean cousins). Most composite decking seems to be made of a mixture of wood fibres and resin. Millboard is resin + mineral stone which they claim is more stable. Only thing I can say is they all seem darned expensive! I suspect we will go for Millboard as we really like the weathered oak look!

Don't know if it is any help to anyone, but I have been getting a number of quotes for Millboard - there doesn't appear to be a lot of discounting going on. I have found however a couple of deals; these are not endorsements of these companies, just keen prices:

Millboard enhanced grain golden oak deckboards £45+vat per board (best price I have found, and this colour only)

Millboard Weathered planks (all colours) £49.95+vat per board (negotiated rather than advertised)

Cheers

Vishal

We used Resort Deck for the external balconies and a 3x4m mezzanine deck on exit from basement.

Not cheap but nice choice of colours (bit more subtle compared to the samples I got from BMs) and grain etc was a bit more realistic.

Also better fixings as they have a groove along the length and use a special hidden fixing between the planks vs driving a screw through the face of the plank.

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this thread.  Anyone got any recommendations for good quality and reasonable price?  Also pondering on what colour to go with, our house is white render with anthracite frames etc.  However the rooms which open onto the garden have bamboo flooring.  So I am torn between pale decking/paving or wooden effect composite decking.  If anyone has any pictures of either that might help the decision.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

look great!  We're looking for decking boards so checking out the past posts.  didnt really want to pay that much for boards but we did cedar 12 years ago and they rotted so want something a little longer lasting.  there again - I doubt we'll still be here in 10 years so I guess it doesnt have to be too long lasting. 

Has anyone used the composite decking products at Wickes?

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Eva-Last-Composite-Deck-Board---Tiger-Cove-20mm-x-140mm-x-2-4m/p/178701

It says - latest in bamboo-polymer composite technology and tested in some of the harshest climates and conditions in the world, this composite decking is built to withstand all that Mother Nature has to throw at it. The composite will not rot and the revolutionary capped surface technology gives one of the most hardwearing, stain-resistant, scratch-resistant, slip-resistant and splinter-free surface finishes available. High UV stability means its colour won't fade and will last for years and years.

It is reasonably cheap at £16 for a 2.4 m board.  I think I'd need 19 boards for a 3.6 (one and half boards each length) x 2.6m deck .  Which is £300 nearly. half what the composite boards at Tecimbertec are looking at. 

1 hour ago, TheMitchells said:

I think I'd need 19 boards for a 3.6 (one and half boards each length) x 2.6m deck .  Which is £300 nearly.

I think you'd need 29 boards. 3.6/2.4 = 1.5 as you say. 2.6 / 0.14 = 19 (rounding up). 1.5 * 19 = 29 (rounding up). Which is £464.

I haven’t quite decided on my decking supplier yet, I do like the TekTimber one but as we are now trying to get outside finished off as cheaply as possible I’m wondering about it, hubby would just do timber decking but I feel it would be a shame not to finish off as well as we possibly can, I’ve found a company who are a good bit cheaper but they only seem to do the hollow boards , has anyone gone with them or does anyone have a reason why not to use them?

yes, the hollow one do seem much cheaper. someone said they warp more but I dont know if thats true or not. 

Thanks for sorting out my maths - I see where I went wrong and had forgotten that I needed 1.5 lenghts per 3.6 side.  I shall wait to see what the samples look like (I have three lots coming) and then compare prices with plain old timber decking. I have to go to the timber merchant for something else so will get a quote.

Popped to our local timber merchant and they only have pine decking boards.  they look same as all decking boards, with a ribbed section on one side and smooth on the other.  but I always thought pine would rot quicker than other woods, such as Douglas Fir or Larch.  However, price was good and its local!  is Pine any worse than the others?  I dont seem able to get Douglas Fir or Larch nearby.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this up as people probably have fitted/ are thinking of decking this time of year. I'm not looking to get mine done just yet (Autumn probably) but as I take forever to make decisions, i need to start looking now. Some of the stuff looks woeful (why would you go for hollow boards?) and the price dimply does not reflect quality. As always, each product appears to have some scare story online, e.g. Timco (see below). Have to wonder whether hardwood options actually are still better if many of the  composite issues are true. Sure enough, you have to take a bit more care in looking after your wood and are also unlikely to be having a BBQ out in the rain (well maybe here in the UK...) so slipping is less of a risk.

What are people's real life experiences of composite decking? Prices, products? @Jude1234 , @vk2003- have you decided what to go for? @Bitpipe - still happy with your choice?

I'd go for a standard patio, but have a metre fall at the back of the house so would need significant backfilling.

2 hours ago, oranjeboom said:

What are people's real life experiences of composite decking? Prices, products? @Jude1234 , @vk2003- have you decided what to go for? @Bitpipe - still happy with your choice?

I'd go for a standard patio, but have a metre fall at the back of the house so would need significant backfilling.

Yes - boards still look great (after a spring clean). Only wrinkle is the supply/fit firm that has the UK supply contract went into receivership but seem to have regenerated as a supply only firm. 

• 2 months later...

I may decide to have a small area of decking in final garden design....I could use a larch the same wood as the house is clad in but it may not be the best choice given the way it moves and will be in an exposed location.  I have sent for some samples of Millboard.  Did anyone end up using it?  If I do it at all it won't be a huge area so don't mind paying for the right stuff.

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting again as we still haven’t done this yet. The firm I was originally looking at have now changed their name to neotimber and I’m back at the £200 for delivery, I really really grudge paying as much for delivery but I can’t find anything locally which compares in price and quality, our joiner is out the game at the moment after an operation which is giving me more thinking time but the more I think the more confused I get!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Good morning. 

Resurrecting an old post as we are at the decking stage. We’re considering Millboard but the cost has got to be taken into consideration. Alternative is Trex but don’t like seeing some negative comments about it. 

Has anyone installed either product? Any problems? Happy with your choice?

This is our forever home so it’s got to last. Don’t want to be redoing in 10/15/20 years time. Will either product last that long?