Durisol: that's it - the last pour.

Thats it the last pour  this afternoon. As usual, there's a twist.....

aaabbbccc.thumb.jpg.876be15460aee36b8dc86b7dae581359.jpg

We (Debbie and I) had about a tonne of concrete to mix, haul up to the parapet and pour by hand to finish the house. As usual it took longer to prepare for it than to do it. But hey, used to that.  All tested, all checked. Thoroughly. 

It rained last night didn't it? Tidy drop of rain in fact. The rope on the pulley was wet. Hemp rope. Got a suspicion yet?

Me, up  on the gantry,  her indoors hauling the pulley (I'm not stupid)  First 50 kilo bucket hauled up by one of the fittest wimmin in Lancashire. Helluva lass. On an Italian pulley system that automatically locks when you let the rope go.

Well bugger me, 50 kilos of concrete went straight back down from whence it came.

Cue old-fashioned look. Cue lively discussion.

Several hours later, it came to me why the brake system wasn't working. The rope was wet. I'm really quick like that.

The big big  BIG mistake I made was, just  as we were finishing the  job,  to tell her why the pulley brake wasn't working. 

Anyway, doesn't matter, no more concrete to be lifted.

Might have a drop of giggle water tonight.   

• Like 8

Congrats on this milestone, and thank God neither of you got hurt by 50kg of rapidly descending concrete...

Recently I spent a whole day lifting a 150kg+ Sunamp up to the first floor.  On my own.  Scary as hell at times.  Thank God my old climbing ropes and ascenders (rope clutches) all still worked, and were OK with a load that's around double that they'd normally operate at.

• 4 weeks later...

durisol is maybe front runner for my projects ,but may go SIPS.

on paper durisol if roughly cement rendered both sides to seal them give best "u" value of anything ,as far as i can find ,presuming you beleive what they all say 

and add a layer of PIR on outside and you got passiv house 

although they say no bracing is needed they also say only 4ft per pour.

my thoughts ,and correct me if you disagree ,why not just use a little low expansion foam or "no nails"  as you lay the blocks --that should help with keeping them in place

• 2 months later...