Quickstep Laminate from Howdens - how good?

This week I am helping a mate lay a floor over about 55sqm. He wants to use a Quickstep Uniclic Oak. Versions are available from Howdens or B&Q, the latter at a little under £20 per sqm.

Two questions.

1 - Has anyone used the Howdens Quickstep Laminate products. Ie one of these. It is a genuine Quickstep product.

https://www.howdens.com/flooring/laminate?atr_flooring_locking_system_sm=Uniclic

How was the price and performance?

2 - Can I use my Howden’s account at a different branch on the same day? I know I will probably have to set up a local account.

Cheers

Ferdinand

I put some quick step laminate in my previous house. It's a very good quality flooring. It was down over 5 years and still looked great.

I doubt they could advertise a flooring as quickstep and not actually supply you with the proper stuff. 

Same story here, we had it fitted in the living room  kitchen diner and hallway. It's been down around 7 or 8 years and it looks as good as when it was fitted. Get the v-groove 8mm stuff as it has a far better finish than the cheaper smooth finish. 

4 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

Should be fine. Usually they just phone your home branch to check what discount you get. 

Why are you planning to go to different branches?

Helping out a friend 100 miles away, who does not have an account.

I am travelling on the train ? , and cannot bring half a tonne on the Midlands Mainline.

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

Couldn’t you get it delivered?

Not this time, unless we decide it is too ambitious for this trip and start again for a future time.

Technically I could probably carry about 625kg in the new car, which might be enough.

F

The discountsuit you get at Howdens are decided by your local branch, so if you want to negotiate then you should probably do it before you go down, you can also ensure they have the 55sqm in stock in the branch you want to buy from.

If you don't then the Howdens that you are in simply ring your local branch and have to charge you whatever price they are told.

My account holding branch tried to tell me I can only buy from that branch. For various reasons another branch is far more convenient to me so I popped in one day and asked if it was true I can't use my account there - needless to say, it wasn't true and indeed I got the exact same price there. 

Have prices.

My home branch says that after my 80%+ (!) discount the price including underlay and VAT is a little under £20 per sqm on an order of around 50 sqm.

The branch at the other end comes in at just over £20 per sqm, about £1 per sqm more than the first 

At B&Q, there is one product which is the closest at about £22 per sqm incl. underlay, and one .. Andante Oak.. Which is a near equivalent at around £17-18 per Sqm.

All are real Quickstep with 20+ year guarantee, AC4 rated.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Have prices.

My home branch says that after my 80%+ (!) discount the price including underlay and VAT is a little under £20 per sqm on an order of around 50 sqm.

The branch at the other end comes in at just over £20 per sqm, about £1 per sqm more than the first 

At B&Q, there is one product which is the closest at about £22 per sqm incl. underlay, and one .. Andante Oak.. Which is a near equivalent at around £17-18 per Sqm.

All are real Quickstep with 20+ year guarantee, AC4 rated.

F

I would raise this with the manager at your home branch, and make it clear if they won't do the same price at the other branch you will be taking your custom elsewhere.

• 2 months later...

I've just put down 40 sqm of howdens own dark grey oak 8mm v groove laminate flooring downstairs  in a house we are going to rent out. Brilliant quality and easy to lay with the added bonus of it being splashproof. It was on offer when I bought it around 2 weeks ago. Worked out £10 per sqm Inc VAT.