Long Term Damp Problem

Onoff

Evening,

Need some thoughts on this long term damp problem. Terraced house circa 1860. Slate damp course originally. Later "lean to" added on but this has a proper, modern dpc. 

20181013_172154

20181013_172145

20181013_172158

20181013_172300

20181013_172133

20181013_171519

20181013_172248

20181013_172118

Gut feel is it's to do with the gutter above and water is filtering down inside through the solid brick wall? Ventilation maybe?

Paint is peeling and blistering etc but it's so high up the wall as well as low down.

First off the gutters need clearing and the downpipe properly directing to the hopper. 

The wc is also overflowing but that's an easy fix and I don't think anything to do with the main damp.

Edited by Onoff

I have been dealing with similar issues on the property I am currently renovating.  If it was mine I would do all the things you say above, plus maybe look at the leadwork between the extension and the wall as it looks to me as if there is a gap there.  An overflowing cistern will dump thousands of litres where it shouldn't be if left untreated for a long time.  It may dry out a fair bit now you have sorted that.  Can you run a dehum inside to dry it out a bit and see if your remedial work does the trick?

ETA - also is the soil pipe leaking?  It looks from the wall staining as though it might be.

Edited by Square Feet
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Looks really bad...... all the above but also there are what looks like two misaligned tiles below the roof, is there other damage on the roof ? 

76425D3D-A3A2-4A5F-8C3C-317713CE4236.jpeg

Misaligned tiles, just below the stack, I can see it now you've mentioned it.

At the end of the gutter, where it stops the fan light opening is the back bedroom. Some water damage coming in around the chimney as it's stained down the stack in the loft.

The gutters on that extension don't look right. The end section after the downspout looks like it has sunk. This could be throwing water into the cavity. Is there damp in that room at that corner. There is also some spuds growing in the gutters at the other side.

DrawOnPhoto_1539458234222.thumb.png.e1ef0529e14b62d9eb7fba2e1667aad0.png

Need to start at the top and fix those tiles and check for any others that are cracked/loose and work your way down.  Clean out the guttering and fix that droopy bit.

Connect the spout that is hovering in mid air directly into the gutter below.

Check to see if that lead is still sealed against the wall. It looks like there are a couple of holes at the end.

DrawOnPhoto_1539458711711.thumb.png.67c5858a091499bfd2acc56bb5b8f094.png

There's a lot of staining below that overflow pipe that's sticking out to the left of the upper window, right next to the SVP.  Makes me wonder if there is, or has been, a slight drip from that which has been running back under the pipe and down the wall for years.  The give away is that the wall and the SVP look clean above the height of that overflow.

Looking at the very first photo could it be that though the roof ostensibly has a decent fall down the length it should also have a slight fall away from the long side?

Water is maybe running under the lead?

Edited by Onoff

4 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

rising damp only rises 1.2m, anything above that and it's coming from above

Was thinking on those lines myself when looking at this pic.

20181013_172248

This pillar with the render, plaster coming off is about halfway along the length of the lean to.

I'm not sure without looking whether the twinwall polycarb is let into the wall in a slot or it just butts against the pebbledashing and the flashing sits down on it which is my suspicion. If as I say the roof slopes towards the wall despite sloping along the length water will be running straight under the flashing. Hose test time maybe!

Going to try and look this weekend.

• 4 years later...