Treatment tank troubles

Anybody have any experience of installing a sewage treatment tank, in our previous builds we had a normal septic tank with the outfall going to a soak away which my husband did himself however this time we have to install a sewage treatment plant, no soak away, straight to the burn running through our land, just wondering if there’s a lot of difference in the installation method 

• Declan52 featured and unfeatured this topic

Treatment Plant install will be similar, i.e. set plant to correct invert level.  Whether the outflow level matchs the burn is another matter, worst case you might have to discharge into a chamber and a float switch pump will shift the treated effluent into the burn.

Yes I have just installed a treatment plant, had to get permission to drain to ditch via the EA. As the ditch is dry a couple of months a year had to instal a rumble drain (pipe from plant to outfall full of holes and trench full of gravel). My treatment plant has an air pump fitted above it so power was required at the location. Simple to install, mine was in concrete as the water table is high.

Treatment plant discharging to a burn is a delightfully simple system.

You will need a discharge permit from SEPA and they don't like giving them unless this is the only option. We had to prove, buy proposing 2 other schemes first, that discharge to the burn was the only option before they would allow it.

now it is installed is is wonderfully simple with nothing to go wrong.

Make sure you use one of the air blower type treatments plants. I would not personally choose one of the type that has rotating mechanical parts in the brown smelly stuff.

A timely thread as ours is going in this week - a bio-pure treatment plant. Installation instructions are [or seem to be] builder friendly and SEPA [Scotland] have insisted on an additional soak away pit before we tap into a field drain leading into a local water course.

High level overflow drawing SEPA.pdf

Bio-Pure 1 Tech Drawing PDF.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

@Redoctober wondering how you got on with this, ours is still ongoing, no diagrams available regarding the air duct connection from the outlet end to the blower housing, any help gratefully received!

What is the make of your treatment plant Christine?

6 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

@Redoctober wondering how you got on with this, ours is still ongoing, no diagrams available regarding the air duct connection from the outlet end to the blower housing, any help gratefully received!

Hi @Christine Walker Ours is now safely and securely installed - The electrician, who failed to show all last week is due to site Monday 5th Nov to wire it up amongst other second fix installations. Unfortunately, other than what I have already posted, I haven't any other guidance - sorry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

Had a look at your pictures, it’s the blower unit we aren’t sure of, I see your hose coming out the outlet, our instructions say to put it through 110mm duct from the outlet then through the concrete base for the blower unit into unit, all sounds very confusing without a diagram!

Yep it does. The hose coming out of my inlet was simply there to fill the tank up with water in order to assist with weighing it down for installation purposes. Perhaps others more knowledgeable could assist.

• Like 1

I tried to search for a diagram on tinternet but could not find one (I am laid up with an injured hand and ordered to rest ?) I only found this which has a drawing showing a pipe exiting the plant to connect the blower, page 3, hope it helps.

https://mpcservices.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/Clearwater_PS_2011_8pp_1.pdf

Edited by joe90
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...