Comfortable external step height

We are in the process of trying to work out external finished ground height, and I’m getting confused by old school methods and common sense verses what we do nowadays, 

the situation is that due  to a flood risk assessment our house will sit quite high above original ground level, so a lot of backfill to bring the ground level up. 

My old school thoughts are that any external ground level should be at 150mm below damp course level, so that would incur having a 150mm step down, which I feel is too big a step and an uncomfortable height, I would like to decrease this step down to 120mm as this is more comfortable. 

How will bc view this 125mm height instead of150mm. Is it not viewed in the same light as it was in the past with all these level thresholds 

how does this work with my disabled access as well, I will end up with a large flat turning area outside the door, level with the interior floor level. 

Just for referance our our house is Icf walls, so no formal dpc to speak of really 

I am not concerned about building up the external ground height, I just want to ensure I don’t have grief of the bco. 

Cheers russ. 

What is the outer skin?  If it is brick you will still need DPC and 150mm externally.  Even properties with basements have DPC.  The level thresholds have a drainage channel in front of them and this helps prevent splashing from rain.  Also it is windows and doors in these locations and they do not soak up water or stain like brickwork / stone.

You can reduce the 150 to 120 without any issues as long as the surrounding surface drainage is properly designed.  You can always have a doorstep apart from the main entrance.

• Like 1