Build Line

Oz07

Can be same resistance.

Our plot is between a 16c cottage, on the building line, and a church set back from it. We wanted to build mid way between the two because the plot was narrower at the front. Planners kept insisting we build in line with the cottage not further back.  Spent a year and about £10k trying to get what we wanted approved.

About to give up but decided to get a planning consultant to review our plans. By accident we found one that had been involved with a previous owner of the plot. He had a letter the planners had sent the previous owner which said "a house further back might be better"!!!! I could have kissed him and punched the planning officer.

When we showed the planning officer the letter they rolled over and agreed our application, but we never got back that year of our life.

In most cases it will depend how defined the building line is. If all other house are exactly in line then chances are the planner will want new house to be in line as well. If it's more irregular then they will be more flexible.

They might also object if the house was so far back that the planners consider it sets a precident for building another row of houses behind the existing line. Sometimes they refer to this as "backland development".

I had a similar situation when I wanted to build a garage at a previous house on a corner plot.  The planners wanted me to keep within the building line of the existing house, which would have put the garage in the back garden right outside the back door.  I didn't want that so U submitted planning for where I wanted it and it was refused, so I appealed.

The appeal gave a very long description of the locality, noting that the older houses, in particular one the other side of the road, was built right up to the road, but the modern houses were all set back. He noted that my  house formed a link between the old and the new, and concluded the garage being set back part way served to connect the old to the new and permission was granted.

It sounds a very similar situation that you want to build in between the building line of 2 properties so I would submit your plans and see.