White brick house

Sjk

Any thoughts on this?  Seems rare in the UK and there arent that make white bricks to choose from.

It's something a little different to the white render you normally see, wondering if it could suit both contemporary and traditional homes.

5 minutes ago, Sjk said:

Any thoughts on this?  Seems rare in the UK and there arent that make white bricks to choose from.

It's something a little different to the white render you normally see, wondering if it could suit both contemporary and traditional homes.

got any pictures of the sort of thing you are looking at

Im interested in bricks similar to this

https://library.brickhunter.com/platinum-range-bea-clay-products-caxton-super-white-65mm-wirecut-extruded-white-smooth-clay-brick

i.e. not the creamy colour that are sometimes classed as white.

I think it could look great in a contemporary building, but when i was a child a cottage not so far away was build of white brick and it had aged very well.

I dont't know why they arent used more frequently? Maybe there is something I've missed? Im tempted to perhaps incorporate them into my build. 

These arent the same, but the photos give some idea

https://wienerberger.co.uk/en/product-search/platinum-white

https://wienerberger.co.uk/en/product-search/super-white

Would be great if other people can add to that

@Sjk need a really good brickie for those, very unforgiving I imagine, mortar colour v important too.  Could look stunning on the right build.  Do they come as brick slips? You could timber frame and then clad in white brick slips...might be cheaper no idea.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sjk said:

I would say look at glazed white bricks. With standard white bricks there is perhaps more to think about wrt detailing, staining, and long term wear.  White, like white paint and white cars, look very scruffy as soon as they get slightly mucky ... it is less tolerant and may need more mantenance.

You also .. depending on location ... need a strategy for when Johnny Plonkalong comes past at 2am and spray paints a bright purple 6ft tall phallus on it in paint that sinks into the brick. White brick also perhaps has something of a negative historical association ... community centres and shopping malls on sink estates and so on.

You also need to think how you are using the material, whether as individual bricks or more as textured surface. 

If if you have a fairly protected or secluded location then there is a lot of potential, but everything needs to be considered.

I have a white non-glazed brick bungalow built back in 1970 as my dad’s architectural studio, which you can see in its 40-years-later state here on Streetview.

As you see it looks scruffy.

It has now been restore and has a combination of a painted and clad finish.

So I would is ncourage you to pursue it, but to do it with care and thoroughly.There is potential for an outstanding result.

Ferdinand

(Need to update that link. Will post later. Sorry)

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Ferdinand, really useful.

I didnt realise white brick had been used for such projects before. If paint was to soak into the brick, that would be devastating, the ones I have seen have a low water absorption rate, so maybe more hardy to staining etc?

Had a wander around and this is aprx 194X house, the brick is very similar to your fathers.

Edited by Sjk

On 12/10/2018 at 21:28, Hecateh said:

That second wall looks like the interior of our school outside toilet block when I was a kid

That is the sheen from an anti-graffiti product which means graffiti can be power washed off and then just repainted with the product.

That prevents any graffiti being absorbed.

That wall backs into a public footpath between backs of gardens which is not overlooked, and has been graffitied twice that I can remember.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 21:43, Sjk said:

Thanks Ferdinand, really useful.

I didnt realise white brick had been used for such projects before. If paint was to soak into the brick, that would be devastating, the ones I have seen have a low water absorption rate, so maybe more hardy to staining etc?

Had a wander around and this is aprx 194X house, the brick is very similar to your fathers.

A couple of photos post restoration and a maintaince cycle this summer, where we repainted completely and changed a few details that were not quite right from the 2010 restoration.The 2010 restoration was done to the roof off floors up new drains level. The new paint was done this summer,  which is actually an 8 year cycle.

The cladding has been where the paint from the 2010 restoration was weathering badly eg where the wind whipped round that front corner and the overhang finishes. Now it is sharp again.

Everywhere not covered had paint that was still pristine, so hopefully repainting can be once every 10 or 12 years now.

As you can see that back wall *could* be a graffiti magnet, but it is an ok area so we have only had 2 occurrences in 20 years.

As I say detailing is critical, especially concerning runoff and staining, and would have a long term strategy to allow for a new finish in a few decades, which will also affect design details. As I say, consider gloss surface bricks which will last a century or more in pristine condition .. see London Tube Stations for example.

But please so something interesting. This in white brick was dad experimenting when he was about 32.  Still have a dozen of the original bricks which are for maintenance should they ever be needed.

Make it pleasingly different to all the others. Bugger fashion and things inspired by Tracey Island.

Ferdinand

imageproxy.php?img=&key=cc55a271c50209a89C36FE04-2285-4EA0-BB0E-422C506A454C.thumb.jpeg.514bb65d238d8bdfe060fd6fc7101026.jpeg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=cc55a271c50209a816A0EC31-B1C1-42AF-9434-5CF247DDB2BC.thumb.jpeg.2f8d2278941687af03eb0f9e178d2842.jpeg

7E50EACA-D974-468B-B190-3757C1BB0071.thumb.jpeg.257435a22e9a7bf782c29931300da59f.jpeg

Edited by Ferdinand