Proposed Roof Details

zoe61

So I'm in the deep end here frantically trying to learn as much about roofs as possible in a short space of time. I have a joiner and roofer lined up (both close family friends), very good and reasonably priced hence using them, but old fashioned in there methods and knowldege and not that helpful at communicating the finer details so I'm trying to ensure I have a good solution and that they wont miss anything out.

I'm swayed towards a cold roof. Reason being height build up. At the moment I'm proposing the following:

Slate tiles

Battens (do I need counter battens as well, also how do you determine thickness of these?)

TLX Gold or Actic Hybrid R (thoughts welcome?)

150mm rafters at 400 centers with a 50mm air gap followed by 100mm insulation (ideally PIR- but dreading the cutting so maybe go for earthwool- thoughts again please?)

50mm PIR Internally

25mm battens

Plasterboard.

Does this sound like a reasonable solution? Any better alternatives please?

Am I correct in saying I don't need any extra venting?

When it comes to the wall plate is there any special detail required here?

And at the ridge do I just need to lay the following https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/cembrit-ridge-vent-roll-5m.html 

Thanks

So if you go earthwool over PIR between the battens you won’t meet building regs for the roof uValue with just 100mm - would need to be double. 

On the multifoils - and this is my personal opinion - they are a waste of money and pointless at the point you are looking to install. They work as an airtight layer inside but that’s it.

I would go with the following 

slate

batten

standard breather membrane

150 joists

120mm PIR in two layers 

50mm PIR internal layer taped as VCL

counterbatten

plasterboard

Its also a warm roof build up too...

38 minutes ago, PeterW said:

So if you go earthwool over PIR between the battens you won’t meet building regs for the roof uValue with just 100mm - would need to be double. 

On the multifoils - and this is my personal opinion - they are a waste of money and pointless at the point you are looking to install. They work as an airtight layer inside but that’s it.

I would go with the following 

slate

batten

150 joists

120mm PIR in two layers 

counterbatten

plasterboard

Its also a warm roof build up too...

Am I correct in saying Building regs state Roof = 0.20W/m².  If so then when I input the values into the Simple U-Value Calculator I get a U-value of 0.15- have I done something wrong?

You state 120mm PIR in two layers is this in between the rafters? Seems like a really horrible job

Capture.JPG

30 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

Who is sizing the roof structure? 150mm seems pretty light....

the way to size the insulation is to know what u-value you are aiming for - off the top of my head we usually go with 180 total depth of pir in room in the roof type

Structural Engineer. She actually sized as 125, I increased it!

Is this new build house or extension? For new build expect U=0.15 or better. For extensions BR require 0.18 or better

+1 to most of the above, especially multi foil! I would not bother with Frametherm 32 (extra cost for minimal improvement on U-val especially timbers at 400mm c/c) - go for 35 version.

Fully fill the rafter space with this, breather membrane, counterbatten, batten & slate with 50mm PUR under rafter.

Note this is not a warm roof. It gives a warm roof space but to be a warm roof construction the majority of the insulation must be above the rafters.

24 minutes ago, zoe61 said:

Am I correct in saying Building regs state Roof = 0.20W/m².  If so then when I input the values into the Simple U-Value Calculator I get a U-value of 0.15- have I done something wrong?

Not necessarily, 0.15 is better than 0.2, but any serious calculation of U-value must include the timber present in layer three. With at least a 15% timber fraction it will make a significant difference.

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

slate

batten

150 joists

120mm PIR in two layers 

counterbatten

plasterboard

Peter. With this build up where would you utilise the 30mm gap ? (The difference between the 150mm deep joists and the 120mm pir) if the gap is below the membrane then you will need to cut battens to act as a stop to maintain that gap.

Personally after doing my roof this way I would not recommend to anyone..... I found it a really messy and a really time intensive job. I detailed it very very carefully and will have Pretty much NO air-gaps between the layers or around the sides of the inserted insulation  but it was a crazy amount of work. Just finishing the 25mm sheets over the joists today...... 

i would always recommend getting the insulation blown in as it’s far superior, great at sealing air gaps and has a good decrement delay. 

Badly done with infilled  PIR leaves most of the insulation useless as air can circulate around it, and having done it well I know it takes to long to be cost effective for most builders / roofers to do it this well. 

My build up is 

slate

full sarking board 

breather membrane 

50mm vented gap, from soffits to ridge.

50mm  PIR butted up and sealed (foamed and taped) to full length batons  running down the inside of each 220mm deep rafters and butted up to the sarking.

120mm PIR inserted and fully sealed and taped. This came level with the inside of the rafters 

25mm sheets of PIR over the rafters. 

Still to do. 

Osb over everything

plaster board over everything

I don’t intend to have a service void as I have designated it to be like this. 

1 minute ago, Cpd said:

Peter. With this build up where would you utilise the 30mm gap ? (The difference between the 150mm deep joists and the 120mm pir) if the gap is below the membrane then you will need to cut battens to act as a stop to maintain that gap.

Use battens below the membrane and create the void there. Saves on counterbattens but some of the other insulation types are full fill and the breather membranes can cope with this - the Cromar ones we use are certified for full fill and no air gap. 

If cost is no  issue then I would go with sarking board every time and full fill that but make the joists 200mm.