New-build newbie in Milton Keynes

howplum

Hello All. My wife and I are about to embark, somewhat late in life (71), on the roller coaster ride that is self-build. It is something that I have always wanted to do, but made it difficult by only wanting to do it in Milton Keynes, where decent sized, reasonably priced plots are about as common as unicorn droppings. However, we have found one, purely by chance, but it is proving to be less than straightforward to complete the purchase, so I shall be raising a topic (or two!) to seek advice. The plot does have Planning Permission for a bungalow though, which is exactly what we want, and which is all the local council will allow anyway.

In the meantime I am having lots of fun drawing plan options and researching the different building systems available. I have already been to the NSBRC in Swindon - fascinating, and very helpful.

• Like 2

Welcome.

Have fun while you can. I sense that you've earned it - waiting til our time of life to do something is a harsh discipline.  I echo @Lesgrandepotato 's note of caution. Our build is a case in point. 

Get the purchase under your belt. The self-build process hardens you. Your only defence is preparation and research.

Hello and welcome.  Good for you, we embarked on a build at not much different age to you (OH nearly 70 me a tad younger).  Retirement house dream bungalow.  A few years on many many heartaches and lots of overspending we have the home, not quite the dream as compromises inevitably had to be made to accomodate planners, practicality and purse but it is a now a home we are proud of and love living in it.  

If the years of hell and impact on health with all the stress was worth it is another matter.  Pretty much behind us now but I would just caution you to be very aware of just how stressful this can be. I dont think anyone can really prepare you for it.......would you do it again is an often asked question........maybe but differently is my answer.

The help and guidance I received from the lovely folks on this forum was invaluable to me, they give generously of their time and knowledge to help fellow self builders, you are fortunate to have found us so early in your journey.

Look forward to hearing about your progress.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies. Although some of my friends think I am able to manage the project myself, which is kind, I am more inclined not to, or at least, not totally. To save some money I can go the "shell-build" route, so that I can at least have some DIY input, such as decorating, cupboard building, garden landscaping and the like.

I am very much in favour of a kit home, such as those supplied Dan-Wood, because of the speed and specification. On the other hand, good old bricks and mortar has its attractions, because I have built up a few connections in the building trade that I trust. However, it potentially takes longer, which will have an impact on the finances, because we will sell our house and live in a flat we currently rent out, so will lose the rental income. On the plus side, my wife says I can refurbish the flat whilst we are living it it! Luckily(?) we can't get a static caravan down the road!

• Like 1