Historic retrofilled foam cavity insulation - U value?

PeteTheSwede

Hi all

My 1930s detached house has walls made of brick then a 50mm filled cavity and then brick again. The cavity has been filled with foam at some time in the past (don't know when or what with). I'm trying to work out the U value of the wall currently, so I can calculate the impact of adding external wall insulation.

I've used various online calculators, but don't know what to choose for the foam. Can anyone suggest what the foam might actually be, assuming it was done some years ago? Extra points for suggesting an R or U value for 50mm ?

Thanks all

Peter

5 hours ago, PeteTheSwede said:

I've used various online calculators, but don't know what to choose for the foam. Can anyone suggest what the foam might actually be, assuming it was done some years ago? Extra points for suggesting an R or U value for 50mm ?

@PeteTheSwede If it is t least 30yrears old then it is most likely Urea Formaldehyde foam. It will probably be white and if you squeeze it will crumble as it has become brittle with age. How much this would affect its insulation qualities I do not know.

Assuming a lambda value of 0.029W/m.K it gives a U value of 0.44W/m2.K in the build up below.

PTS.jpg.3e32a752f9865e293f79b91722109fda.jpg