We have today received our VAT refund documentation back with a covering letter stating payment will be within 20 days. This has taken just under eighteen weeks from the acknowledgement letter which took twelve days to arrive. The claim has been accepted in full and there were no queries. We used Jeremy’s spreadsheet which we modified slightly and used his suggestions about stapling invoices to A4 sheets and highlighting VAT reg no. We would like to thank Jeremy @JSHarris for his help.

The invoices were separately in both our names and both names were entered as claimants on the form. A lot of the invoices were hand written with only one of our names and no address on them and others, B&Q etc, had no name or address. On receipts with ineligible items we put a line through them. One invoice stated ‘This is not an invoice’, but had an invoice number, and was accepted. The invoice from Denmark was accepted without query.

We’re glad that’s over and we can now wait for the sales and buy our new settee.

• Like 8

👍

• Like 2

Good news, but that's a long time to wait for the claim to be processed.  I wouldn't mind betting that HMRC wouldn't accept an 18 week delay in payment of any tax or duty owed to them!

• Like 3

Mine took 20 weeks but I did get the money within 5 working days so fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

Good question

Google found these references..

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/vat-construction/vconst13650

and

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/vat-construction/vconst13630

..which say that small vanity units are effectively treated as basin pedestals. Presumably this means small ones can be reclaimed. Larger/wider ones are treated as furniture so can't be reclaimed.

Not sure what that means for the basin itself if anything.

Brilliant news, well done.

My claim went in 20 July, acknowledged early August, still waiting with crossed fingers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

We have today received our VAT refund documentation back with a covering letter stating payment will be within 20 days. This has taken just under eighteen weeks from the acknowledgement letter which took twelve days to arrive. The claim has been accepted in full and there were no queries. We used Jeremy’s spreadsheet which we modified slightly and used his suggestions about stapling invoices to A4 sheets and highlighting VAT reg no. We would like to thank Jeremy @JSHarris for his help.

The invoices were separately in both our names and both names were entered as claimants on the form. A lot of the invoices were hand written with only one of our names and no address on them and others, B&Q etc, had no name or address. On receipts with ineligible items we put a line through them. One invoice stated ‘This is not an invoice’, but had an invoice number, and was accepted. The invoice from Denmark was accepted without query.

We’re glad that’s over and we can now wait for the sales and buy our new settee.

Well done Peter 

and Jerremy 

Well worth all your effort 

• Like 1

I received my VAT back yesterday:

• received by VAT office 31May2018
  • returned 18Oct2018
  • = 20 weeks

There was a right kerfuffle about the kitchen, which was originally on a supply only basis, then changed to supply and fit. Kitchen Co had me pay VAT on the first basis, so HMRC said it should be zero rated. So I went to see a nice lassie in the Kitchen Co who phoned HMRC, agreed they would pay the VAT and recover later, and promptly refunded the VAT paid within hours.

I am also resolving two other items for which I had no proper VAT invoice, which should be easy to sort.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Auchlossen said:

I received my VAT back yesterday:

• received by VAT office 31May2018
  • returned 18Oct2018
  • = 20 weeks

There was a right kerfuffle about the kitchen, which was originally on a supply only basis, then changed to supply and fit. Kitchen Co had me pay VAT on the first basis, so HMRC said it should be zero rated. So I went to see a nice lassie in the Kitchen Co who phoned HMRC, agreed they would pay the VAT and recover later, and promptly refunded the VAT paid within hours.

I am also resolving two other items for which I had no proper VAT invoice, which should be easy to sort.

Well done.....on your timetable I still have a while to wait as mine went in 20 July so nearly 2 months behind you.

Seems that 20 weeks is about the norm from sending the claim off. Bloody ages though isn’t it!