Loft roof insulation

bassanclan

Any bright ideas how I can insulate this loft?

It's a single storey extension built in 2015, signed off by the Council building control! No loft insulation and I don't think there is any cavity wall insulation either.

There's probably not enough room to crawl along to lay insulation. I don't want to have to take off the roof or the celing.

20181011_110842.jpg

20181011_110849.jpg

Don't have to take the full roof of. Take some tiles of 2 rows and cut the felt and lath to give you an opening. Lying on your belly you should get 3 spacings each side of the opening maybe even 4 if your a bit more flexible.

Depending on how wide the roof is you will need to do 3/4 openings. 

You will need some roof felt to patch in your cuts in the existing felt. 

Or stick 100mm insulated plasterboard on the underside of the ceiling. What type of lights are in the room below??

You should be able to get loose fill insulation and push it along. Once you have filled the space between the first set of joists it will push over to the next set and so on. You would need to make up some kind of "pusher" but that shouldn't be hard. This is the cheapest simplest option I would think. Not sure if you could get it into the corners though.

I have also heard of people jury rigging a leaf blower to blow loose insulation in.

Blown beads would be ideal but I suspect that this is too small a job for professionals. However, if you want the cavity done also then they might be able to do it all at once. You would need to know if the cavity can take full fill insulation with no dampness issues.

I can't believe there is no insulation, it costs peanuts. They probably thought it was too much hassle to get it in there.

Edited by AliG

Blown fibre insulation (definitely NOT blown EPS beads, as there are PVC cables in there) would seem the best bet, but it may well be too small a job, as @AliG suggests.  There are other cable-safe insulation types that can be blown in, I think, I can remember seeing vermiculite in a loft once, and that looked like it might be possible to be blown in down a long tube.