hmm

Hecateh

My plumbers are concerned about this fitting on my Wunda system. 

These two bits fit very loosely together. There is only a partial small lip that keeps them from coming apart. They haven't done ufh before and are willing to concede it may be as it should be but it doesn't seem right to them.

They are going to get it checked at their own heating place but they have already said that their place doesn't rate Wunda or Grundfos.

Has anyone any information or ideas please?

20181010_170829(0).jpg

20181010_170822.jpg

20181010_170819.jpg

It should be loose before it's put together, but it shouldn't come apart like that. I'd call Wunda

Loads of people on here have used Wunda - haven't heard a single bad word about them or the kit they supply. Same with Grundfos - nothing wrong with it at all.

31 minutes ago, jack said:

It should be loose before it's put together, but it shouldn't come apart like that. I'd call Wunda

Loads of people on here have used Wunda - haven't heard a single bad word about them or the kit they supply. Same with Grundfos - nothing wrong with it at all.

That's why I used them to supply @Nickfromwales and others on here, recommended.  My (now) plumbers are great but have no experience of ufh and this is just totally loose.  Whilst I am happy to contact Wonda, this needs fitting tomorrow so it isn't going to solve the issue.  

I also have another issue, which I am also going to contact them about.  I have just discovered that their invoice includes 2 pumps instead of one.  Only one in the quote - and it explains why my invoice was higher than expected

In my experience (albeit from a long time ago) they are pretty receptive to calls and will probably correct that for you. Did they send you 2 pumps or just the one? They missed something off our order and just sent it without charging us for it. 

4 minutes ago, newhome said:

In my experience (albeit from a long time ago) they are pretty receptive to calls and will probably correct that for you. Did they send you 2 pumps or just the one? They missed something off our order and just sent it without charging us for it. 

There is only one on the quote but there are 2 on the order and they sent 2.  I'm not so worried about that - I can sort that quite easily.  The bigger issue is the one I posted - this very loose 'connection'

That’s a standard loose nut - it has a groove in the flange so that the nut can be fitted to the casting as otherwise the valve would rotate when it was tightened both ways. 

Stupid question but have they read the manifold instructions as it’s pretty clear how that lot goes together. 

And if their own place doesn’t rate Grundfos then I’d be amazed as it’s the number one pump supplier in the world - it’s the gold standard. 

This is a link to the premium manifold which I think you have. Those are the isolation valves as shown on page 2. 

https://cdn.wundatrade.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/M07-generic-Wunda-premium-Manifold-2-5-2017.pdf

The two valves fit at the bottom as shown and then they need to fit a 1” to 22mm compression into the bottom of the valves as shown on the picture for supply and return. 

If you'd have rung Wunda today before 6pm they'd have dispatched for a delivery tomorrow. As for your guys not rating either Wunda or ( astonishingly ) Grundfos, then the title of this thread summarises nicely. :/ Grundfos are pretty much the industry standard and feature on every single one of my jobs. 

The flat face has the nylon washer against it and the nut tightens against the pump assembly Union. That cause the lot to tighten up. If the nut freely slips over the fitting it has parted company with then it may be damaged or slightly oversized, but the norm is a nut and flange which have flat spots to allow the nut to slip over and become captive, then the nut will rotate flat and tighten up without coming off. 

Check with Wunda, as I really can't remember. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @PeterW and @Nickfromwales I 'knew' it should be right but it doesn't 'look' right and they don't want to put it all up and leave me with a problem.

It may just be Wunda they don't like, in which case, if they use grundfos, they will be able to sort it with them. 

As I said, my plumbers are willing to accept it's right but that they don't know and it doesn't look right.  They were here until gone 6 and were just trying to sort things out so they can get straight on with it tomorrow.  (*&^% Suzie wouldn't have had a prayer)

13 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

The flat face has the nylon washer against it and the nut tightens against the pump assembly Union.

There doesn't appear to be a washer in this bit

Edited by Hecateh

6 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Thanks @PeterW and @Nickfromwales I 'knew' it should be right but it doesn't 'look' right and they don't want to put it all up and leave me with a problem.

It may just be Wunda they don't like, in which case, if they use grundfos, they will be able to sort it with them. 

As I said, my plumbers are willing to accept it's right but that they don't know and it doesn't look right.  They were here until gone 6 and were just trying to sort things out so they can get straight on with it tomorrow.  (*&^% Suzie wouldn't have had a prayer)

There doesn't appear to be a washer in this bit

There isn’t a washer from memory as it’s a pair of machined faces between the bottom of the mixer set and the isolators. If they are worried then a smear of JetBlue or other PTFE paste will suffice. 

They must use a reamer to sort the top edges of the pipe as it will snag the O Rings and they will leak otherwise. 

• Thanks 1

Can we have a pic of the end of the fitting ? It should show flat edges on the circumference. 

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Unfortunately @Nickfromwales hasn’t identified this correctly and it’s not the pump union but the isolator valve ... easily mistaken when staring over a copy of the 18th edition... ?

I said pump assembly not pump Union ?

Large cabernet? ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Should there not a be a split collar to spring over the flange and retain the nut?

Nope there is just a gap about 15mm on opposite sides of the nut and a couple of flats on the body - same as a lot of pump isolators are designed. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Yep!

So the one they buy I will pay for and will be returned to @PeterW 

Unless they decide they want one and pay for it themself in which case I'll pay Pete for it

I’ve just got off the phone with peter and he says he wants to donate the money to the Thirsty Welsh Plumbers Association. 

Heart of gold that guy ? 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

I’ve just got off the phone with peter and he says he wants to donate the money to the Thirsty Welsh Plumbers Association. 

Heart of gold that guy ? 

how about the p***ed off and stressed from Barnsley charity lol